Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe this, I read the other day that Apple has a ton of G5's refurbished for sale. So let me see if I understand this correctly, majority of customers just recently received their G5's in the last couple months. How in the heck did Apple receive so many refurbished units in such a short time?

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
Word on the street was if you were planning to purchase a G5 don't buy the G5 1.6GHz seems Apple failed to mention that machine still had the older motherboard. I'm willing to take a stab that with X-Mas an all Apple could have allot of stock there looking to unload, hence the refurbished units...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I own a G5 1.6 gHz and the mother board is the same as the other G5 models except that it only has 4 ram slots not 8 slots. I don't know what you mean by saying that it has the old mother board. From what older G5 could it be from since this is the first generation G5 line?

My other question is what do refer to as a ton of refurbished G5's for sale? What is the actual number of G5's in the article? A refurb mac is any mac that is sold to a customer that is not brand new. Meaning it was a demo or had a faulty part replaced, a restock from a person who did not want their G5. An open box that is sold as a refurbished mac.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
I agree it's just the PCI slots.
The 1.6 is wicked value and with 1 gig RAM chips who cares, it was an artificial marketing difference anyway. :cool:

BTW did you RAID up your 1.6? :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
"I own a G5 1.6 gHz and the mother board is the same as the other G5 models except that it only has 4 ram slots not 8 slots. I don't know what you mean by saying that it has the old mother board."

No PCI-X slots.

-sb

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The 'refurbished' machines are probably ones that have come back from the G5 Test Drive program, or are returns/exchanges. They just clean them up, re-package them and resell them and a discount.

And since the 1.6 G5 with PCI slots came out at the same time as the G5 1.6 with PCI-X slots, I don't see how one could be called 'older' than the other. In fact, it is misleading to say it that way.

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I didn't see the deals on Apple.ca, only Apple.com.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts