Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

I have Mac OS 10.2.4 and OS 9.2.2 on my iMac. I partitioned my 60 gig into three 20 gig sections and have an OS on one partition. The third is for video rendering.

What OS is best for my system? Thoughts? ;)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
You are using an iMac DV, and well thats a G3, and because of that Mac OS X is not optimized for the G3, but the G4. Also, you aren't able to run QE, which will cause a severe slow down for X. 9, still runs and their is still support, but its old and most of the new things coming out are for X. For you, I would suggest 9 because if you run X it will be slower then you would like.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Chealion, you have a point, however, he has a GIG of RAM, and a 7200RPM drive. That will help a lot. I am running Jag on my machine, and it feels fine to me. My previous machine was a 733QS, and while i know this iMac is slower, it is not unusable by any means. Its almost "snappy".

The only thing he is lacking compared to my machine is 100MHZ and a slower video card. The extra ram should help even that out.

My 2 cents

Peter

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
What are you using the machine for?

If video editing then I would say OS X as you get access to all the newest toys (like iMovie 3, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro 3) that they aren't making for 9.

In fact, I would say X for just about any use that isn't ProTools 5 or earlier, Quark Xpress or any legacy apps you may have. X is a much nicer system to work with if you are going to be running many apps at once. With a full GB of RAM, even classic shouldn't tax the system too much.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I dont see why this is an issue
you have both , use both
When you need x, use it, otherwise use 9.
you have the room, I dont see the problem

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks people. Minnes, I do end up using both Op-Systems, however find myself in Classic more often than not. When at school (I'm a teacher!) I have OSX run exclusively on ALL iMacs due to its stability and troubleshooting.

iMovie 3 was a dog on any iMac I have until I bumped the RAM from 128MG to 384MG. The gig in my own machine has breathed some life into an otherwise great little box.

Incidently, I just helped a student upgrade her Rev A 233MHZ G3 iMac by installing a 128M stick of ram. More RAM is the key to any speed-up. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's going to default to boot OSX, but OS9 still has it's uses.

It depends a bit on your usage patterns, but 20 Gig is pretty generous for each OS; especially if you use OSX most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts