Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

How many machines do you have?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what happens when I am bored.

I had a weird customer tell me that there were a lot of people who had stuck with OS 8.6 instead of going to OS 9 while waiting for OS X to come out. WHile I didn't necessarily disbelieve him it did pique my curiosity.

So what OS are you using on your machines?

This poll has more than one question, just FYI.

--PB

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
OS X is my primary OS, OS 9.2.2 is installed on my 2000 tower, the 12" PB has OS X only (as it will only boot OS X) and "classic".

Prior to the arrival of OS X beta, the tower also had Yellowdog Linux installed.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I use OS X for 99.9% of the time now.

I do recall however, that after OS 9 was released, I stuck with 8.6 for a long time before finally going with OS 9. I recall thinking it was more stable, and I didn't like some of the changes in OS 9. I remember feeling the same way about OS 7.6.1, it seemed very stable too.
Those were just my OS comfort zones I guess.

-GW

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I have 8.6 on both my PM8600/G3 400 and my PB5300c. I plan to install 9.1 on my PM, probably later this weekend. My daughter's Quadra 610/PPC has 7.6.1 on it and the now retired Mac Classic has 7.1.

I imaging that one of these days I'll buy a machine that can run X. Till then, the older OSes do the trick nicely!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I use OS X 10.2.6 on my mac and WinXP Pro on my PC. I have gotten so used to OS X that I don't like WinXP anymore

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Ok.

Mac OS 8.1 on my WorkGroup Server 8100/110
Mac OS 8.6 on my PowerMac 6500/225
Mac OS 8.6 on my Radius 81/110
Mac OS 8.1 on my Quadra 660AV
Mac OS 8.6 on my PowerMac 6360 with a 6400 logic board
Mac OS 8.1 on my LC 575 and 475
Mac OS X on my iMac DV
Mac OS X on my iBook

There.

Oh.

Mac OS 7.1 on my Mac Color Classics

There.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mac OS 9.1 as that is as far as I can go. It is faster and more stable then 8.6
8600/233

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My G4 AGP runs mainly in OS9.2,
I have OS X.1.5 on a partician but have lost interest in it.
Skipping Jag and waiting impatiently for Panther..

My 7100 runs OS 8.6 nicely, is chugged with 9.1
It should keep my daughter amused until she needs a real computer...

The Quarda 650 ran OS7.5 for a decade until I gutted it to upgrade the 7100... I loved that mac and still give it honourable mention... snifff..

The Commodore 64 still works too, but I'm the only one who gets a kick out of it...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
1 on Jaguar (QuickSilver 2002)
1 on 8.1 (DragonKid, or the Performa 580CD)
1 on Windows XP (Its my mom's)
1 on Red Hat Linux (I'm curious and am about to get it set up).

And 1 or two other computers that are dormant. (Mostly crappy old PCs that came with my Mom's job). Funny that our house went from 1 computer to 6 just 2 years ago. (Though only 4 are usuable)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are some pretty interesting results so far. I didn't expect that so many people would have 4 or more computers.

Still only 48 votes though, and with 2000 members, there are plenty of people left to cast their votes!

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm running:

Mac OS X on a PowerBook (G4 667MHz)
Windows XP on a Dell Dimension (P4 2.26GHz)
Windows XP on a Compaq Presario (PIII 700)
Debian GNU/Linux on a Dell Optiplex (PIII 550)
Debian GNU/Linux on a Dell Optiplex (PII 400)
Debian GNU/Linux on a Dell Optiplex (P 200)

Oh, and if that didn't set off bloodyface's nerd detector, each and every one has a name (above and beyond their machine type).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So there are 58 votes as of right now, does this mean that there are only 58 active users on ehMac?

Eeeeenteresting.

--PB

·
Registered
503 Posts
So there are 58 votes as of right now, does this mean that there are only 58 active users on ehMac?
It could be that many, such as myself, have more than one OS on their one machine and the poll doesn't address this. Jaguar and OS 9 for me. Lately I've been switching back to OS 9 more often because certain programs work better and faster in OS 9

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For anyone who has a dual boot setup like Klaatu and has yet to respond because of it, post your Primary OS on each computer. If you have OS X and OS 9, but use OS X 75% of the time, then put OS X.

Fair enough?

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still getting used to the shortcut changes in OSX. Wonder if they'll make more changes in Panther?

Actually, you can customise the keyboard shortcuts in Panther, so it matters not.

--PB

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm running:

Mac OS 8.1 on my Powerbook 5300CS
Windows XP Pro/Red Hat Linux on 2/3 other computers in my house.
Windows 98SE on my brothers computer

But even tho I have all these windows machines, gotta love the classic MacOS 8.1

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
I'm running (and am quite happy with) OS9.1 on my Motorola 3000/G3-300 tower and 8.1 on my 5300c laptop. I will be adding an 8600/G3-300 shortly and running OS9.1 on it. All my peripherals are legacy (SCSI hard drives, scanner) and I like the old Extended Keyboard II, so I have no urge to spend the dough on new equipment so that I can run OSX. From what I've read in the Emergency Room, I'm missing a lot of aggravation as well.

PS. I drive older cars too ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Using OS X 10.2.6 on my G4 FW800
Using OS 9.2.2 on my Wallstreet PDQ

wish I could run 9.2.2 on my G4 as there are loads of music programs and stuff that just haven't updated to OS X yet. I assume they may just be waiting for panther??

just sold a 7600 that I had installed 9.2.2 on. Felt ripped off because before I upgraded it to sell, it NEVER EVER ran as good as it does now at my friends house!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts