Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other - details below

Votes: 3 7.5%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soon going to be in the market for a new TV, 42" or thereabouts. Please advise me about which technology to use. I'm a complete newcomer, so please include advice about specific brands and models. Price is definitely a factor - the budget runs around the $1000 max area.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Answer probably depends a bit on your viewing environment.

In my "man cave" with little outside light, I LOVE my Panasonic Plasma. Not sure if I'd get a Plasma if I was using it upstairs with large bay window with tons of outdoor light coming in.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
I have a 42LG70 LCD 120hz for my theater.. it's got amazing color and it also works well with my Mac Mini through VGA or HDMI. (If that might be a consideration.)

All in all.. I'd buy LCD again. No question.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I have two Samsung LCD TVs, a 37" in my motor home and a 40" in my living room. Both areas have lots of natural light coming in. Best pictures I have ever seen in a LCD. Consumer Magazine chose both models as number one in their class. Stunning HD colour.

The 37" was $699 on sale at Future Shop. I got the 40" free on air miles, but they sell at BB or FS for about $999, both within your budget. Both sets are 120 hz and 60,000:1 black ratio.

I have no hesitation recommending any Samsung LCD. They may even go on sale for less around Christmas if you are not in a hurry and the 42" may come into your price range.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I have two Samsung LCD TVs, a 37" in my motor home and a 40" in my living room. Both areas have lots of natural light coming in. Best pictures I have ever seen in a LCD. Consumer Magazine chose both models as number one in their class. Stunning HD colour.

The 37" was $699 on sale at Future Shop. I got the 40" free on air miles, but they sell at BB or FS for about $999, both within your budget. Both sets are 120 hz and 60,000:1 black ratio.

I have no hesitation recommending any Samsung LCD. They may even go on sale for less around Christmas if you are not in a hurry and the 42" may come into your price range.
My friend has one too. LCD Samsung is very nice at good price too. Was going to be my choice if I bought LCD.

When you are shopping, don't go by displays at Big Box stores like FutureShop. Those TV's are often in demo mode with brightness and contract cranked and generally they are not setup very good.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
+1 with SINC. We've a whopper wall-mounted Samsung Series 7 LCD that's now a year old and its blacks are as good as a plasma. Samsung makes fantastic panels (OEMs them for others as well). Sharp screens are good but more matt and don't have as good blacks. Go for 120 Hz as that allows a 1:5 pull down for 24 fps BluRay. If you want to test various sets, take along a BluRay of Wall-E or Ice Age 2. Much easier to discern the screen quality.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Just bought a 40" Samsung LCD, 60 Hz--I really like it. Bought it refurbished for $750.

I was looking into 120 Hz, but from talking to a few salespeople about it, that's primarily an advantage if you play video games or watch a lot of high-action sports--it smooths out very fast action. I don't do either, and I'm not looking to go to Blu-Ray anytime soon, so it wasn't worth the extra cost.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Depends what you want to watch... if you're a sports fan go plasma as LCD isn't quite quick enough for hockey and fast moving sports. Actually, I'd suggest plasma in general. Pioneer makes the best plasma tv's but you are gonna pay. Panasonic Viera makes the best realistic priced plasma tv's.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Depends what you want to watch... if you're a sports fan go plasma as LCD isn't quite quick enough for hockey and fast moving sports.
That's odd. I could count the stitches on the 93 mph spinning baseball as it left the pitcher's hand during the World Series with my 120 hz Samsung LCD.

My neighbour's Plasma won't even come near that.

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
I love my panisonic 42" plasma. I have had for a year now and it is a great unit. Sound is crisp and the picture is second to none.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Depends what you want to watch... if you're a sports fan go plasma as LCD isn't quite quick enough for hockey and fast moving sports. Actually, I'd suggest plasma in general. Pioneer makes the best plasma tv's but you are gonna pay. Panasonic Viera makes the best realistic priced plasma tv's.
I think the sports for plasma thing is a bit of a myth now with the new LCD's.

A lot of it is personal preference, but to be honest... all these new HD TV's look freaking amazing! :)

The Panasonic for me... I liked the more natural, realistic looking picture. Personally, I find LCD's a little too sharp.

It's almost like the new 27" iMac I am using now at work with the LED display. The image is so sharp and bright and high resolution, I find my eyes bugging out a little after using it. The Panasonic just had a more natural look to it, especially in controlled light.

But that's just my preference.

Also thing standard definition signals (Which my kids watch a lot on kids programs) looked the best.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. Will be in the market for a new tv soon and was considering either a plasma or a 120hz LCD. Picture quality is good on both from what I've seen but the 120hz LCD's are quite a bit more still than the plasma in the same size. I would probably not go to a BB or FS but would consider going to say a place like FM audio here in Brantford or EHR in Hamilton. Of course if you know what it is you want, then there's always shopping online and even boxing day specials. Even Dell has some pretty serious deals once in a while.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Technology is always expanding with LCD and there could be models that are coming close, or maybe some are already here. My plasma (Viera) outperforms my LCD and the Sharp Aquos (2007/08) model I owned which was the best LCD on the market at the time; I've heard they aren't quite as good anymore. I was told Samsung makes one of the best now, perhaps I'll have to take a peak at one for you Sinc. ;)

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
LCD all the way... And at this point in time, Samsung!

·
Premium Member
30,884 Posts
If you are serious about picture quality you'll try and find a DLP RP remaining.

Mitsubishi still makes some and you may well find some Toshiba's still around.

Good enough for 2k in theatres
Rear Projection DLP® - RPMSP-D120U - Rear Projection System

it has been more profit motive by the manufacturers than quality that has led to the DLP MIA. Lots' more LCDs and plasmas fit in a shipping container :rolleyes:

I can't stand LCDs and plasmas are energy hogs with issues over time.

5 years now on my Samsung DLP and one bulb $120 ( after 4 years ) and it's as brilliant and crisp as new.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
I can't stand LCDs and plasmas are energy hogs with issues over time.

5 years now on my Samsung DLP and one bulb $120 ( after 4 years ) and it's as brilliant and crisp as new.
You are labouring under some dated information here! Newer generation LCD/plasmas don't suffer the issues that early incarnations did... Newer models will now run 24 hours a day for 7 years before they start to suffer image quality issues (that's over 61,000 hours!)... The average North American watches approx. 130 hours of TV a month, at which rate any model flat panel will last 39 years without suffering quality issues... You already replaced a bulb after 4 years... In 39 years you are going to have to replace that bulb about 9 times (at a cost over $1000!)...

Also, DLP is dying from consumer demand, not manufacturers push.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Never liked plasmas, myself - I find they tire my eyes and I'm always aware of a bit of flicker especially in my peripheral vision. I'll likely retire my venerable 32" GAOO next Spring sometime, even though it's still lovely after all these years, and get a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD or similar.

·
Registered
394 Posts
CRTs aren't on the list? There are still a good number of CRT televisions out there...

The comment about the Pioneer plasma TVs costing a fortune is bang on. My parents bought a 60 inch one this time last year along with a Pioneer Blu-Ray player to go with it. The cost of the TV and BR player before taxes came to a little over what I paid in tuition fees for the three year college program I'd just graduated from. I still can't imagine spending that kind of money on a TV and Blu Ray player, it boggles my mind.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
LCD and Plasma both offer benefits and there's excellent and crap in both camps. Basically though the Pioneer Kuro Plasma's are the best money can buy...but you'll need a lot of cash and a room with little to no ambient light to get the most out of it...still most plasma TV's have a glossy glass screen which reflects light where as most (but not all) LCD TV's have a matte finish...that alone makes the choice between LCD and Plasma in most cases. The higher end LCD's are now putting gloss screens on their TV's to boost black levels though and some Plasma's are now shipping with a matte screen over the glass to mitigate reflections.

I was a big plasma fan and loved my old plasma TV but the house we moved into this summer has large windows in the media room so I knew I'd be looking at an LCD this time round and at first wasn't too happy about that...but then I started really looking at the new modern LCD's and was pleasantly surprised at how far they'd come. I now have a Samsung 52" B610 series TV and its very good. The 6 series has 120hz for fast motion and the 610 and 640 models come in matte finish. The 5 series is ok but if you can step up to the 6 I think you'll be happier long term.

Sony and Sharp's are good LCD's as well but IMO the better bang for buck are the Samsungs.

If you do go Plasma stick to Panasonic.

For what its worth I do custom installs for in wall/ceiling speakers and hang TV's as a side business so I get to see a lot of different brands in various locations. One of thing I'll also point out is don't hang the TV too high or it will be uncomfortable to watch...this means ideally the bottom of the TV should be no higher then eye level when seated if that's how you typically watch it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Just got the Future Shop flyer for this weekend in today's paper.

The Samsung 40" LCD 1080p 60,00:1 black ratio is on sale for $849.99.

If I needed a TV, I'd be grabbing this one at that price.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts