Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have is 25 most played. I haven't fully figured out what other options I have. Anyone else got any cool play lists?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
motoyen wrote:
"All I have is 25 most played. I haven't fully figured out what other options I have. Anyone else got any cool play lists?"

The only smart playlist I really use is "My Top Rated" (I think that's a default iTunes one), which is a collection of all the songs with a rating of five stars.

If you've a huge MP3 collection like I do, then you could always set up a smart playlist that only contains songs that haven't been played yet. That way you'd be sure that you've listened to each song at least once.

You could also set up a "Recently Added" playlist, containing items added in the last week or month or so; that way if you throw a couple of new CDs into your collection they won't get lost with the rest of your music.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Right now I just have three playlists, Instrumental, Just Jazz and Sentimental. With 700 titles I still have to come up with a couple of new playlists.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I have "60's Music". It seems to be a smart playlist, i.e. songs are added to it when I rip CDs that have 60's songs.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I have the following smart playlists:

- Fill CD Random (No U2) - This is for when going for a drive a long drive in the van and want random songs containg no U2... to please my wife

- ehMax's Fav's - All my 5 star songs... mostly U2

- Kids Music - All music within the Children's Music genre

- Negleted Tunes - Songs I haven't listened to in over 6 months

- Fill iPod - Random top rated songs that make a playlist 5 GB or less

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Not Often Played: playlist of every song that has been played 3 times or less.

Never Played: playlist of every song that has never been played. Usually it is empty, but it fills up if I rip some songs, and then it is easy to listen to the new songs.

Most Played: 25 songs with the highest playcounts.

Recently played: The last 25 songs that were played. Pretty simple.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I might be in the minority here, but my iPod playlists are exclusively made up of Smart PlayLists...I find them much easier to maintain, especially if you're like me and you frequently add new material. The trick to making optimum use of Smart PlayLists is to fill-in the year and genre fields of every MP3 file in iTunes.

Here's my list:

!Randomizer - Random list of 300 songs, updated on the fly everytime I start iTunes. Note: I include a exclamation point as a prefix in the title of the playlist so that the selection remains at the top of the list on the iPod);

!Unclassifiable - This is an assortment of tracks that I just don't feel right about classifying (e.g., Philip Glass, Phish, Tom Waits, TMBG);

50s & 60s music - Mostly 50s stuff, and a few 60s tracks that have yet to be overplayed on those awful classic rock radio stations;

70s music - My MP3 collection converted painstakingly from my old 70s LPs...you don't really want a list of what I have from this era, do you?

80s music - Very long list and yes it includes generous helpings of synth-pop bands like Flock of Seagulls. Go ahead. Laugh;

Ambient - Stuff that I play most often when hammering out speeches (e.g., Cocteau Twins, Boards of Canada);

Acoustic stuff - Piano and acoustic guitar material including Alex Houghton, Ben Folds Five, Richard Thompson, Mark Knopfler, Eva Cassidy, Jonatha Brooke, Neil Finn);

Blues - 'Nuff said...

Classical - I should just call this the Yo Yo Ma / Glenn Gould section;

Contemporary - Any track in which the recorded date was within the last five years;

Electronica - Everything from Skinny Puppy to Fatboy Slim;

Folk - Old folkie stuff from the 1940s and 1950s, along with some Billy Bragg for good measure;

Jazz - Lots of Ellington, Mingus, Miles Davis, Corea, Art Tatum, Monk, Rollins, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Satchmo;

New stuff - Anything uploaded to the iPod within the last two weeks;

Progressive - All my old prog rock collection (e.g., Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP);

Rarely played - Stuff I haven't played in six months;

Recently played - As the title says...

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Smart Playlists:

Every genre has it's own list. (Ambient, bootlegs, down tempo, drum & bass, electro, hip hop/rap, house, jazz, new wave, punk, r&b, rock, trance, uk garage.)

I recently created a Christmas playlist. Probably won't be listened to until next december.

A "Kylie!" list, filled with all my kylie minogue favorites.

The iTunes defaults.

Every month i start a new "Month" Playlist. So, all the songs added to my collection in December go into the "December" Playlist, and so forth.

And the "Top 25 House Tracks" list.

hope i gave you guys some ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.