Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my mother was alive and living at home, it was around $115US a month. After she spent weeks in the hospital, it fell to $95 a month. I just received an update from the power company, telling me it will be $80 a month - an adjustment.

This year, I haven't used the dryer and hung a clothes line outside. Nor the air conditioner, except for one hour. I sleep downstairs where it's cooler next to the fan. Suits me fine. I will try shutting down my computers at night and see how much juice that saves. Almost all of my light bulbs are fluorescent. A friend pays $69 a month, and I want to go there, or lower.

I am very thrifty and green, and the savings feels good. This is my green power-down challenge. What is your bill?

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal bill for our 1100 sq. ft. home averages $185 month in summer, $240 in winter.
I have oil heat, and the bills come to $400+ a delivery. Very scary, and I'm wondering how I can reduce that. :eek:

Your .gif bug makes me itchy.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
I have oil heat, and the bills come to $400+ a delivery. Very scary, and I'm wondering how I can reduce that.....
Miss Gulch, when we first bought this 100 year-old house, which looked structurally quite sound. we were spending over $500 a month on natural gas in the winter, and the house was still absolutely freezing. We slept under all the blankets and down sleeping bags that we owned, plus fully-clothed. :(

I considered selling because I couldn't afford to heat the place. :-(

Luckily, the electrician was fishing wires from attic to basement and remarked that we had no insulation in our walls. :eek:
This turned out to be good news, as it meant we could then do something about our temperature catastrophe!

We had cellulose insulation blown in to all the walls and attic. This cost $1,200 - less than three months heating bills.

Our heating costs are now about $150 a month. :yawn:

Shocking!

Advice: Insulate.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
I have oil heat, and the bills come to $400+ a delivery. Very scary, and I'm wondering how I can reduce that. :eek:
For heating, homes lose a lot of energy through the ground and roof. Make sure that you have good insulation in both those areas. If your furnace is old, a new one will likely be much more efficient.

For electricity, refrigerators and freezers are major energy consumers. Newer models are significantly more efficient than older ones. Also look for the power "vampires". These are all the electronic items with standby lights, clocks etc. They are never off and always suck up power. To the extent that you consider it reasonable, unplug them when not in use (a powerbar is more convenient to turn off, though) and, when you are looking to replace them, pay attention to standby power usage on the new item.

CFL light bulbs are also quite popular and cheap. They use about 1/4 the power of incandescent bulbs. You may also have fixtures in the bathroom and dining room that have far more bulbs than are needed. Remove a couple.

Reduce hot-water usage with a low-flow showerhead and, when the hot water tank needs replacing, consider an on-demand system or a highly efficient conventional tank system.

For many of the above, talk to your electric utility or check out their website. They often have programs to help out. It may be only $50 or so, but it's something.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I now have what is known as a 'navy shower'......you wet yourself, turn off the shower, soap up for as long as you like then turn on the shower again to rinse off......I've noticed a distinct drop in our gas bill even during the summer.

My wife still can't help herself to long hot shower....but as she's pregnant I don't like to complain :)

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
... I pay $21 a month in equalized payments on my condo, don't know if it may end up being higher as I just moved into the place but this is based on the average of the previous year for the previous owner. It may be higher as I have way more gadgets than the previous owner. In my old apt I paid around $27/mo on average.

Gas heating and hot water is part of the $277/mo strata fees. They put a new 99% efficient Viessmann condensing boiler last year which apparently have been saving them a heckuva lot of money. I wish heat and hot water was metered suite by suite so I'd have incentive to save money there. The first thing I did was replaced all the incadescents with fluorescent lights. I also looked at ordering some motion sensor light switches for the hallways. I'm planning to get energy saving appliances for the kitchen soon as well.

When I lived with my dad I was responsible for the gas bill which I paid $183 a mo on equalized payments for. Thanks to the fact we kept the boiler off until November and replaced the hot water tank with a newer mid efficiency one, we got a $1400 refund at the end of the year and his new equalization payments are a lot lower this year.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
It's funny this should come up because I went through all our old utility bills a few weeks ago and put them into Excel. Nerdy yes, but interesting none the less.

Our electricity useage went up after our son was born, went up a little when we moved to a bigger house then spiked in the winter in a our drafty new house that has baseboard heaters in the basement.....we had to keep them on to stop a pipe freezing.

For some reason at our old house we had an electricty spike in February and I can't figure out why, we had all gas heating then and gas cooking so the only thing I can think of was a lot dryer usage

Anyway, I showed my wife and I think seeing it in a graph form made it sink in just a little that we'd have more money to spend on ourselves if we were a bit more careful with stuff.

We haven't used the dryer in a while now and she used to be obsessed about having soft towels!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
$325 monthly on an equal payment plan. $29 dollars of that is HST. My power bill says I used 72 kW hours a day for June. Our June was cool and rainy.
3 floors developed, about 1800 sq feet. Dehumidifier on in the basement constantly, and a heat exchanger.
My bill for June if I wasn't on a an EPP would be $241 including HST.
I hate that our government charges HST on an essential like electricity. Bah!:ptptptptp

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
My power bill says I used 72 kW hours a day for June.
An important point. To track your progress in conserving energy, you should look at the amount consumed. It does involve estimates (some places do not read meters monthly) but with a couple years' data you can get a good idea. For heating, a quick check of "heating degree days" should also be done for more accuracy and "cooling degree days" for those with air conditioners.

Just looking at price can be misleading.

Also, 72 kwh sounds high, but I don't know what kind of energy a dehumidifier uses. Was the heat on a lot in June and was the temperature often below about 10 degrees?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.