Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nikon 5000 scanner just over a year old which I have not used in over 6 months.

Last week I tried to try and make a scan but as soon as attempted to launch Nikon 4 , I would get a dialogue box that said it unexpectedly quit.

I have reinstalled the software with same reults.

So I took the scanner to the store where I bought it to see if it would for them.
Nikon Scan launched right away.

So I assume it as software issue, my question how is the best way to get rid of
everything and start over ?

I have an iMac G4 700 MHz 640 RAM

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have you had it running since OSX - 640 MB is kind of low for RAM. Is the program Classic or X? Have you upgraded the OS since the last time? At least run permissions. As for deletions I would Find "nikon" then delete the pieces you see especially the library and stuff in the users folder. Actually another idea is to set up another user and install the software and see if it works. If so then the original install is toast then delete, empty the trash and reinstall.

·
Registered
619 Posts
While I don't have the same scanner, I had the same problem in a similar situation with an Epson scanner. In the end I rebooted my machine in safe mode (hold down the Shift key) and logged in as the administrator. I deleted the existing Epson software including all related preference files, rebooted (this time normally), logged in as admin and re-installed the Epson software.

Supposedly Apple's Image Capture software can conflict with the supplied scanner software and cause both applications to become non-functional.

Oh, and just for good measure, repair permissions. ^_^

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Try scanning from a different admin profile.

If that does resolve the issue run permissions repair from your regular user profile. If not. Go to Nikons website and download the latest drivers that will handle 10.3.9.

Oh one more thing. Check your connecting cable and also hook it into a different port if possible.

640 Megs of RAM is quite adequate for scanning in 10.3.9 just be sure to log out and back in before scanning, this will close opened apps and clear your Virtual Memory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.