Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure this one out and cannot find anything online in my searches.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
I can't figure this one out and cannot find anything online in my searches.
Maybe some of these hits would help explain what you are looking for:

Basically, I believe what you are referring to regarding the reference of something being "On my Mac" are the actual files and data that are actually on your Mac as opposed to another possible option of them being stored somewhere in one of the available "cloud storage areas", ie: remote storage areas such as those on Apple's servers if you have any such information saved at their site on their hard drives and storage facilities.

I hope this will explain what you might be looking for.

Which reminds me to please make sure you have a current and preferably bootable backup of any current data that is worth saving to you.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Patrick,

Below is an image of what I'm referring to. I'm guessing that if he is only using the iCloud, then that's why nothing shows up under "name". At the link you shared, I found some conversation there and below about it and that it may be related to apple getting ready for ios. ...not sure, tho. Anyway, I've been trying to see if he does in fact have anything on his mac separate from the icloud.

RE bootable back up drive, I'm not sure if it's bootable but he does have a back up drive. I think tho that he maybe relying also on the cloud to some extent. I'm not sure. He does need access to his stuff from device to device so the cloud makes sense.

iCloud certainly confuses things for me. I'm going to ask for access to the online account of his icloud. That may clear things up.

Thanks for your help!
Deanna

Colorfulness Product Rectangle Purple Font

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Below is an image of what I'm referring to. I'm guessing that if he is only using the iCloud, then that's why nothing shows up under "name".
I'm sorry but I cannot help very much with any information about iCloud stuff or any "On My Mac" folders as I do not use them and they don't even work on the MacOS Mavericks 10.9.5 version that I do use and I have absolutely no use for either.

To get some idea of what may be going on before calling Apple, maybe have a look through some of the hits you could find here:

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Patrick.

I'd seen that link to info and not much help unfortunately.

I'll suggest we get help from Apple.

Cheers,
Deanna

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
From elsewhere:

"That seems to be where Big Sur exposes the "on-Mac" portion of the data containers for the "siloed" apps that often store data files on iCloud Drive, like Numbers and TextEdit. My MacBook Pro has eight folders in On My Mac, each named for an application. None includes any files, but if I store a file from one of those applications and select On My Mac, the file is stored there.

In previous systems, these folders we hidden away in ~/Library/Containers. his new Big Sur function exposes them, presumably in case you want to access them."

Reactions: mcoltezo

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From elsewhere:

In previous systems, these folders we hidden away in ~/Library/Containers. his new Big Sur function exposes them, presumably in case you want to access them."
Hi Macfury,

Thanks for sharing about that! I'm guessing that folder doesn't have to be in the Finder Sidebar? Is it okay to remove it from the sidebar?

Thanks!
Deanna

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
I'm guessing that folder doesn't have to be in the Finder Sidebar? Is it okay to remove it from the sidebar?
Have a look here:
How to Remove an Item from the Finder Sidebar on a Mac

and more options here:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
Thanks for sharing about that! I'm guessing that folder doesn't have to be in the Finder Sidebar? Is it okay to remove it from the sidebar?
As Patrick says, there's no harm in removing anything from the sidebar as it doesn't change anything in the real world.

Reactions: mcoltezo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts