Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only item that has not been updated this year (2003).

So what is Apple going to do with it?

Crank up the lonely G3 to 1Ghz?

Drop it for a full line of Powerbook 12"er's?

Make it cute'r with colour?

Add a Wacom tablet to the screen?
:D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm.. My guess is that the iBook remains around as is for a hot minute. At least, not much significant changes. The issue is more that there needs to be an entry level portable if they are going to make any kind of headway in market share AND in keeping with what they believe - that the portable is the future. This will not be possible by making a high end entrey level unit. But the issue is more that there is tons of choices available in the laptop divisions: iBooks (3), current Tis (2), and coming alBooks (2). What about all the current units out there right now? All the Tis? Tons to pick from.

BTW, the new PBs have been delayed at least until March. This lady friend of mine ordered one - the 17". [sigh].

·
Registered
223 Posts
.I don't think the iBook will be updated any time soon. Instead, they'll likely offer a price drop in the coming months. When the 12" AlBook is updated in the summer (?) then the iBook will be boosted accordingly. That still leaves them within the 6-8 month upgrade window.

This is just a very biased prediction from an 800mhz iBook owner. :D

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
You would think thatbthey would update it within a month or so.
G3 or G4?
If its ag3 then its the last rev for a g3,
the 867 powerbook really throws a monkeywrench in the ointment.
Will they issue a G3 book with a 900 or 933 g3 cpu?
and now the price of the powerbook is lower too, so I dont have any easy guess for the iBook update except that I think it will happen in a month or so.
maybe a 900mhz g3 minor update or a whole new iBook along with the new powerbooks

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Personally I think that the Apple engineers have been hard @ work updating the iBook internally so the old PB line will now be working in the oh so cool iBook case. My 0.02

Oh and hopefully they'll add the new keyboard as seen on the new PBs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts