Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is simple, if highly subjective, what do you think is a "sensible price" for a black iPhone 16gb 3G?

I've searched craigslist et al. and I seem to find a range from $400-550 (even higher for sealed new). Originally I had considered selling the phone with the balance of the 3yr term (26m remaining)... The most I figure is $100 as one can purchase a new 16gb 3g from Rogers for $50 and 10 months more...

But then I thought, "If I sell the phone for upwards of $500, and buy 3GS outright... I may save a lot of leg work and possibly be ahead of the game (not yet knowing what rogers may charge)" :lmao:

This phone is in 8.5/10 shape... its never been dropped but has some light markings on backside from sliding in and out of its case. The front and screen is 10/10, it has never been without protection. Has box, receipt, everything.

So, what do you think? Is 100$ with contract reasonable? How about 500$ without? The iPhone is currently locked to Rogers btw

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
~

you're not the only one wondering, that question is on a lot of people's minds right now and i doubt there will be any answers until the 3Gs hits and the realities of the market kick in. i will say that i sold an as-new 16Gb 3G for my girlfriend last december and i got $500, so i would think the asking price would be lower now that it's no longer the current top of the line...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a lot of chatter on the subject without anyone asking outright. At this point I'm thinking of selling off the 3G, using my backup phone till a new 3GS arrives... kinda feels like playing chicken with rogers, "are ya feelin' lucky?" Who knows how much an 'upgrade' will cost! :yikes:

Mainly I'm trying to gauge if my prices are absurd :greedy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew I should have sold my phone last week ;)

Honestly, I didn't think this update would peek my interest but there is something about twice the speed and video... I cant seem to ignore the benefits :-(

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
What it's worth is also what someone is willing to pay. So it could be $500 plus still. Comparisons to a phone bought with a 3 year contract aren't completely useful. See what other phones are selling for on ehMac and craigslist etc. Usual selling caveats apply.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
But isn't it $400 to break the 3 year contract? So $400 + $99 for a refreshed 16gb iphone 3g.....or $500 for a used one from craigslist?

I know which one i'd choose.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
Just like the 1st gen iPhone, the 3G will continue to hold it's aftermarket value long after the 3G S is released... I think in good shape with box, etc... Between $400-500 is reasonable! I got my 3G replaced last week, it's mint and has 3 months AppleCare, I'll probably look to sell it for ~$450 when Fido announces the price for people mid-contact (I have $200 fido dollars too!?)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got my Iphone 3G 8GB last saturday (June 6th) for $570 Cnd. It was factory sealed with proof for one year warranty. Also got a Bluetoots head set thrown in. I'd say thats a good price. If you check out Kijiji Toronto I'm sure you'll find a good decent one for $400-$500. BEWARE OF FRAUD THOUGH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts