Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the PC I use Coffeecup which is good and inexpensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for a mac html editor?

cheers.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iJake:
On the PC I use Coffeecup which is good and inexpensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for a mac html editor?

cheers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to play around with BBedit. I liked it a bunch. Just about to start playing with GoLive - I'll see what that's like. I'm a bit of a fan of the Adobe interface. I hear that it may have some proprietary code though. I'll see soon.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
BBEdit is definitely a great app if you like getting your hands dirty in HTML.

Syntax-checker, preview in various browsers, font style inserts, etc. Very useful and robust. It also has a whole bunch of extra stuff which I really should learn to use sometime, like built-in uploading to your site and all that.

For things like rollovers, imagemaps, etc., I just cut it up in Photoshop and do the export files & html feature.

M.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I made many web pages with just Simpletext and a book on HTMl in OS 9, I just downloaded a demo of Dreamweaver and it is like playing with a lego set rather than hard coding.
Now all I need is an automatic PHP editor.
Mark

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I am a fan of the Adobe Interface, so GoLive gets my vote. it doesn;t write proprietary code as far as I know, but it does tend to write bloated (but correct) code. It also takes a lot of getting used to.
The integration with Photoshop, LiveMotion and Illistrator is great too.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
If you want to stay simple and just do raw HTML, you can try vi, emacs (found in the terminal) or good old BBEdit Lite.

But if you are not someone who is great with HTML, Dreamweaver IS REALLY good. Really strong, and don't need to know tons in order to use it.

My 0.02

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If you know your code, simpletext or textedit is fine. In fact, any text editor qualfies.
BBEdit (and the freeware BBEdit Lite) are excellent text tools wih specialized HTML features.
Claris Works will format a document as HTML.

If you want it WYSISYG, then Adobe PageMill is still available used, for next to nothing. Even if you don't like it, it's an upgrade path for other Adobe Web programs (because it's been discontiued).

The Web is one area where Macromedia products still hold their own against Adobe; check out reviews or try a demo.

An excellent tool is your web browser itself: go to a page and select (in IE5; all browsers are similar):
File: Save As: HTML Source
... and you will get a good idea of what proper syntax looks like.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use and recommend Golive. As far as writing html, I must confess I know Golive only because its user friendly. I don't write my code. I have also found, to agree with Cubamark, the slicing and rollovers in photoshop is certainly a great way to get things done. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts