9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed my Note Pad accessory,
Usually when I surf I like to have a note pad open to copy
and paste websites or information to and then go back to
the information later on.

Today...I found a great little freeware application simply
called "NotePad" on VersionTracker, Now I don't need to
use OS 9 anymore...NotePad is for OSX...Yay!!!

NotePad 1.5.1

Dave :cool:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's wrong with TextEdit?
TextEdit is too much like SimpleText,
Besides it's an application that needs to be saved...
Whereas NotePad can be left in the dock and when I'm
finished I can just close it without saving it as a text file.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I use the scrapbook all day, everyday....

There are alternatives but why should there have to be...

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Stickies replaced notepad, scrapbook...that's the idea anyway. But I'm an old time Mac user and can't bring myself to use those "stikies'....they just don't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
What I miss most about OS 9 is the bloody thing crashing, like, every 5 minutes. That was fun...NOT!

Thank the good Lord for OS X.

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
A) Speed - Panther is good but still only about half of what 9 is in the finder

B) Command Y for putting stuff away. :mad:

C) Phone pad - a free form database - tiny circa 1987 - I CAN use it in Classic but damn it was useful in 9 for holding everything and being so quick to access info.

It's fun to cruise back and look at some of my commentaries about 7500s being overpriced at $4100 :eek:

We had our killer 9600 packages - a mere $9990 :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
What I miss most about OS 9 is the bloody thing crashing, like, every 5 minutes. That was fun...NOT!
EXACTLY! I hated OS 9 so much I'd love to give it a swift kick in the ass on it's way out!! These are truly happy days!

On a more sober note, how can I get stickies to launch automatically on restart? Is there a startup folder somewhere? Preferences?

·
Registered
6 Posts
To get stickies to launch automatically go into Accounts and go under the StartUp items tab.

Yes, it is that simple.

Oh and on the topic of OS9, I am still trained to go under the menu in the top right corner.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
how can you still consider 9 to be faster than X? sure the finder was a little zippier but think of how long it takes to recover from a system crash. even though the window draws in 9 were faster it still took way longer to navigate to your files especially when they were buried deep in the directory -- in Jag you just grab the scroll bar at the bottom in column view and yank it to the right or left -- you don't need to have 50, 000 finder windows open at once and the myriad of keyboard shortcuts to keep them under control.

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
9 was way easier to get to files and return them - that's what Command Y did perfectly and what Panther doesn't.

It didn't matter how deep a file was it could get to the desktop via Sherlock and back again in a heartbeat.
A big flaw in X is not being able to drag from the lower window of Sherlock and there is no Command Y for put away. I would often pull folders to the desk - work then hit Command Y and back they went deep into the nest.

Even if I remembered a bit of the file or folder Sherlock gets there, you can move to the desktop in either window and return the file or folder when done instantly. Why would you ever navigate through mulitple folders

Not being able to move a folder from the lower find window is an annoyance and no put away is even worse.
Moving laterally across for a file 20 layers deep is a total waste of time.

And 9 even on earlier Macs is substantially quicker in the finder - Windows Bloom shows it easily. My G5 on Panther doesn't approach a G3 on OS9.

And sorry once Apple stopped tinkering with OS9 and it was set up properly 9 was terrifically stable and unless it was an i/o or network related crash would recover most of the time on the occasional hiccup and those were mostly buggy apps like Navigator.
We've had Jag hang up regularly and have to restart when disk utility got it's shorts in a knot.
Neither OS is very graceful on i/o issues.

Poor maintenance and setup was the problem with most OS9 issues - especially corrupt fonts.
X also requires maintenance regularly - more often than I ever had to maintain 9.

Setting up volumes to share on 9 was far easier and repairing a system problem piece of cake compared to X.
When X gets flaky it's very often clean install and archive - not a short process.

The last versions of 9 which Apple did not release but were in use in Classic were very very stable.
:cool:

X is the future but it's still a work in progress and 9 once Apple stopped tinkering is very stable. There are still thousands of Mac users who want nothing to do with X.

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
That was a very accurate assessment HJS :D
Kudos

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If your OS 9 was crashing every 5 minutes...

There was something very wrong with "YOUR OS 9 Setup".

People make a big deal about rebooting in Pre X systems...
I call that Coffee or Potty breaks... really people, make aphone call, stretch your legs, and chill...

Repeated crashes require system maintenance, defragging of HD's occasionally, a clean font library...

Millions of users used OS 9 for years without problems and love it to the point that the OS9/X debate continues today...

Just cause you didn't like something or could not trouble shoot the problems you had, did not make OS 9 a lesser system...

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
X also requires maintenance regularly - more often than I ever had to maintain 9.

Must be "The Macdoc Touch" . :confused:

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
Oh I don't think so since a quick hunt on Panther problems in Google points to many issues and maintenance is integral to Unix and it doesn't happen with most users use patterns.

Where was that thread about empty comments anyway :cool:

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have to say I have no problems with OS9 stability. And I use a lot of programs. The computer never crashes while running Photoshop, Final Cut Pro or Logic Audio. Explorer and Navigator on the other hand... :confused:

I think some of the perceived OS-stability issues people were having with OS9 were actually application-stability issues.

I MISS POP-UP WINDOWS. Long before "the dock" there were pop-up windows fill one with alias-buttons of all applications. Fill another with folder aliases. Have as many po-ups as you like! Dock Shmock. I can get anywhere in my OS9 environment several times faster than in OSX.

I also use Default Folder - which is the best system enhancement ever written for OS9 (also available for OSX) - I personally don't know how people survive or stay sane without it.

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
Yeah you are right pop-up folders were great altho the navigation pane in Panther is very similar in practice as you can load it with those same folders.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I think some of the perceived OS-stability issues people were having with OS9 were actually application-stability issues.

Problem is, application stability issues will always be a problem. And when the System cacks due to a application problem, than the System has stability issues too.

OS 9 users always talk about setting up their computer "just so" then, they don't want to touch it. They set their system up for doing a particular task like video editing, then don't touch it or use it for anything else.

Mac OS X users can run everything but the kitchen sink and don't have to be overly concerned if a particular program misbehaves.

Other feature issues are often more of a problem about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks. Instead of dragging a file to your desktop when your working on it, behind all your running windows, drag it to your dock. When your done working on it, remove it from your dock. How much more simple is that?

In Panther, who needs Sherlock? Type the first couple of letters in of the file or folder your looking for in your Finder window, and there it is. Click and drag it anywhere you want, or open the enclosing folder.

I do miss the speed/snappiness of the OS 9 interface, but this keeps getting better with each update and as Macs keep getting faster.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts