ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iPad running iOS 7 has been running well. Then abruptly ALL videos are lacking their dialogue tracks. Sound effects and theme music are there, so sound is functioning. But dialogue is missing. Actors on screen are seen moving their lips soundlessly.

Since this phenomena is happening universally but wasn't before, my guess is something has changed in the Settings app. But what? Can't spot it. Know how to turn the dialogue track back on?

Appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Would help to know what video app you are using and the source/format of the videos, it sounds like you are using an app that can play 5.1 channel audio and the down-mixing is picking the wrong tracks (my bet would be rear surround) instead of the centre channel (which tends to carry most of the dialogue.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would help to know what video app you are using and the source/format of the videos, it sounds like you are using an app that can play 5.1 channel audio and the down-mixing is picking the wrong tracks (my bet would be rear surround) instead of the centre channel (which tends to carry most of the dialogue.
On my iPad under iOS 7, BBC iPlayer and browsing The Guardian on Safari. I would assume the video app is the one Apple installed on this iPad when it shipped. I vaguely recall reading somewhere the ability to suppress dialogue, although why anyone would want to I have no idea. Consistent behaviour on all videos viewed last night.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Looks like it's happening in multiple apps then, both bbc iplayer and in safari. Seems very odd to me, to the best of my knowledge there is no system wide option for that. As a trouble shooting tactic I'd suggest trying to playback videos from a different source. Personally I'd test out the YouTube app, and the YouTube website with the same video that you know works.

On my iPad under iOS 7, BBC iPlayer and browsing The Guardian on Safari. I would assume the video app is the one Apple installed on this iPad when it shipped. I vaguely recall reading somewhere the ability to suppress dialogue, although why anyone would want to I have no idea. Consistent behaviour on all videos viewed last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have you tried a hard reset? Hold the power button and home button down until it powers off and keep holding until you see the apple logo.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had a similar problem that only arose when I wore one set of headphones. It was eerie how everything but the dialogue came through loud and clear, as if there was some weird karaoke filter installed. It took me awhile to realize that it was the headphones. Any chance you're experiencing a funky set of headphones?

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Is it some sort of default language selection for video gone awry? Or depending on the application, is there some sort of DD 5.1 setting that may be enabled which may be trying to send dialogue to a non-existent centre speaker?

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts

Some pages at such sites often have a text or dialog box with a small x to click to disable or hide them.

Is it possible that the x was clicked, or something similar, and the dialog disappeared?

·
Registered
918 Posts
A friend of mine was having a similar problem with his Iphone. It turned out that a little piece of something had gotten into the headphone input.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts