Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

alright here's my dilemma: i need to access data from an SATA drive which came out of another mac. normally i would simply connect it internally in my present mac. the issue is that the new drive was designated as the startup drive in the other mac.

would this cause a conflict in my current mac? i mean, if you have two drives connected which are both startups, would my current mac have an issue with this?

btw, i would be putting it into a g5 1.6mghz PPC. the drive in question came out of a dual G5 PPC 2.0. i know, i'm going backwards as far as processing power is concerned. i need to access the data, is all.

thanks!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The startup disk is connected to the hardware of the Mac. Therefore, if you connect the second drive, your Mac will still boot from its original drive as always.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lars, I hope you are right. if I try to do this, are you absolutely sure that I won't get a conflict of interest? have you done it? btw, there is an OS on the new drive going in. that's two OS's--one on the new drive going in, and one on the original already inside the machine.

btw, thanks for your response!

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
If you doubt, then hold the Option key down at startup, and after a while you will be presented with your choice of drives to designate as the drive to start up with.

(O'course, if they are both named Macintosh HD... )

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
You can safely connect the external after you are booted. Then as suggested go to system prefs and confirm that your internal is still the start-up disk. If both disks have the same HD name change it on your external so as to avoid confusion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts