Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MacBook Pro 13" - mid 2012. I was trying to find a cable to connect from my External HD (Firewire 800 - 9 pin) to the supposed Firewire 800 Port on the device. I have tried 6 pin Firewire and 4 Pin Firewire but neither will fit. Can anyone tell me what Port it is. The Apple site carries no further information just to say it is a Firewire 800 port.
Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
I have tried 6 pin Firewire and 4 Pin Firewire but neither will fit. Can anyone tell me what Port it is. The Apple site carries no further information just to say it is a Firewire 800 port.
Much appreciated.
According to Everymac, and as you say, that MBPro Model has one Firewire "800" port and it and it's connector will look like these as named and indicated:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
no - I cannot find out what version of firewire and respective plug size will fit, so I am now using a usb cable tp a camera port on the laptop.
That MBPro (double check the model) can use a Firewire "800" port:

Then just match up the cable connectors with those on the macbook pro. FW 800 only works with firewire 800 and the cable connectors are quite unique to anything else. Look at the pictures of the male and female ends and you will see which ones will fit.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate the help - so........ I have tried both 'Firewire 800, 9 pin. to 800 6 pin and 800 4 pin" on the the identified 'Firewire 800" port on the 13" Macbook Pro (mid 2012), but it does not fit with either male plug - it is smaller and this is my problem and so that is why I am using the USB port. I have tried with Apple and with a couple of cable sellers but they have been unable to advise me, but please know, I really do appreciate your interest which illustrates what a great source ehMac is.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Here is a picture of the ports on a Macbook Pro. Make sure you're not confusing the Firewire 800 port with the Thunderbolt port, since these are completely different.

You need a cable with a 9pin Firewire 800 plug at each end. The 6 pin and 4 pin ends are Firewire 400, not 800, and will not connect to a Firewire 800 port on a Macbook Pro.

From your description, it seems like the cables you've tried have a Firewire 800 plug at one end (to fit into your external hard drive), and a Firewire 400 plug at the other end (either 6 or 4 pin). These can only connect to computers that have the older Firewire 400 ports.

A Firewire 800 external hard drive will usually be supplied with a cable that has Firewire 800 plugs at both ends. Check the box if you still have it.

Reactions: Peterweb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TY Rob. I jiggled the 800/9 pin and it slid in after a few tries. I did not have the ports confused. It was just that the first cable I tried with the config. just would not slide in. I found another cable and that was the one I jiggled - maybe the first cable was defective or the defect lay with me lol. Anyway problem solved and all is right with the world!. Really appreciate all the support.

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
I found another cable and that was the one I jiggled - maybe the first cable was defective or the defect lay with me lol. Anyway problem solved and all is right with the world!. Really appreciate all the support.
Now that you have things connected using the FW 800 ports and cable you wanted to use, you might want to do a speed test and check and see if it is really as fast as you think it should be, and you might find your USB 3 port and proper cable connection is actually faster, especially if you are using an external solid state drive.

Have a read here:

And you might want to do some speed test comparisons with each set up and using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test\:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you got things connected and working properly. ;)

- Patrick
=======

1 - 9 of 9 Posts