Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the question.

What does your spouse or significant other think about your mac habit?

My wife can not understand how or why I love my MAC so much. I call the MAC the light and windows the darkness. You would have to pry my MAC from my cold dead hands before I gave it up. She thinks I might be a little obbsessed with it. And there is validity to that statement. :D A lot of validity :D :D

She loved her blueberry ibook and whished we did not sell it. :( She would also like a Flower Power iMac one day. When I ask why she said "Because thier cool!"

What does everyone elses spouse think?

[ October 22, 2003, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
My girlfriend can't really understand it either... She finds it cute mind you, but doesn't understand it. She does, however, support my habbit, and for my last bday got me the wicked gift of an eMate! :D

When she does get the odd chance to use my Mac, she enjoys it, Just not enough to see the big difference/why were Machead's are so fanatical about Apple & Jobs.

It'll be interesting to see if we move in together, whether she'll give up her PC and convert, or stay on the dark side... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My girlfriend has converted since she's moved in with me. It was quite an excellent turn of events. She now shudders having to use PeeCees at work, and like me often brings work home that's just easier to do on a Mac. She sometimes calls me at work just to complain about why things are so complicated and how badly she hates Microsoft products. She's even started Mac spotting on TV and in Movies as much as I do which I think is cute.

The funniest thing is she once noticed that by giving her her own login on my Mac is the "real world" (it's a boring place) equivalent of giving her a ring or pledging my love or something of the sort. She says it's how geeks show they love you, by trusting you enough to use their baby unattended. I guess it's true, I do trust her that much, but I also got tired of her messing up my Photoshop preferences.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
My wife won't come near the computer. She says she doesn't know how to operate one and doesn't want to learn. That is, until she needs to know her bank balance. Then she stands by and watches while I get it for her online!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
my girlfriend just moved in with me a few months ago, and as luck would have it, her PC - an old Pentium 233, died just days before.

she asked me if i would fix it and i made a show of removing all the screws in the back and lifting off the metal cage. i poked around a bit with the screw driver and told her that it looked like it was fried.

happy day! just macs in our house!

she's happy as long as she can check her email, but her dad has been asking me if he should buy a mac. he's worried about all the windows viruses out there. he asked me if there were viruses for mac and i replied, calm and cool, "no."

gotta go, i hear my boss approaching

·
Registered
470 Posts
my wife loves the mac, but is still stuck in OS9 - she is a teacher and her report cards are done through file maker -

she is the only one in her school that uses a mac to complete the report cards and is also the only one that is able to print them properly and has no issues with completing them (all other teachers have problems with their PCs running the program properly every year)

she will be making the jump to panther soon enough though

·
Registered
171 Posts
My husband thinks I'm crazy. He has always been a windoze user, and was never really exposed to Mac's until he married me. But every so often he'll casually admit that they're okay, so I think he's slowly drifting over to the 'right' side - haha!

·
Registered
217 Posts
My wife was very discouraged when I started looking at Apple computers. She usually doesn't like it when I spend money, but was encouraging me to spend the money towards a faster PeeCee. But after many hours spent on research, I finally convinced her (and myself) to 'Think Different'.

When I got the iMac FP, she was impressed that it only used one power cord. When she used OSX, she was very impressed with the colours and ease of use. Her only experience came from wandering into a Mac lab on campus (OS 9), so OSX was a plesant change for her (visually).

I can probably get her to switch over when her PeeCee breaks, but until then she can enjoy looking at mine.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

My wife thought it was a wonderful idea to get a Mac last May. The only stipulation was that she get an iPod with my Mac purchase! This was before iPods were available for Windows based machines.

Well, she's quite happy with her iPod and she's even happier with the eMac I purchased for her when the upgraded eMacs were introduced in June or July.

So, we're both Mac users now and we try and find converts where we can.

James

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Habit? What habit?

She has always been a Windows user (Win95+) but has come to appreciate the difference. Her job involves a lot of computer work in a very high-security enviournment (even though she has no training or certification, IT was trying to recruit her, but she went for the management stream instead).

I've helped her solve quite a few problems at work, and partly because of that they think she's some kind of uber-user. If just one IT guy would get a Mac and figure the big picture out, he could be that guru instead, but hey, it's their careers. Let 'em wallow.

One of the IT staff was obviously having a discussion with some Mac Zealot; he asked her "PCs are better than Macs, right?" You know she gave the right answer to that one.

[ October 22, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wasn’t too sure if my wife really understood the differences between Mac and PC. But 3 weeks ago on the last day of our honeymoon in Lake Louise, she gave me this box. It was a 20GB 3G iPod, :D man was I floored. She really was listening to me! She’s the best wife ever.

Then last week asked for a G5 and got kicked in the shines. Pushing it a little too much. My friend said it’s all about asking at the right moment. I have so much to learn… ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife prefers Macs, but she would have been just as happy if I had kept the old blueberry iMac instead of buying the 17-inch iMac G4. I can see her point. It's not like I need it. I just like it. She totally doesn't get why I would even think of buying an iPod.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha, You will learn my friend you will learn.

During a good back rub under candle light while listening to Dave Matthews is usually a good time.

As a newlewed make sure that you spend most of your time with her. I would be worth putting yor mac on the back burn for a few months. just a tip

Cheers.
Nick

Quote from SomeNSome
---------------------------------------------------
Then last week asked for a G5 and got kicked in
the shines. Pushing it a little too much. My
friend said it’s all about asking at the right
moment. I have so much to learn…
---------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not only does my wife think I am crazed but I've recruited our two kids too. My daughter has taken my ibook which now permanently resides in her room. As for my son, I recently bought him a cube with 21" studio display for his room. We all know it was just an excuse for me to have a cube, but what the hell, life's too short as it is already. I think that I have convinced my wife to buy me an ipod for xmas as well.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My spouse thinks it really funny how, after years of me dissing the Mac, I wound up buying one etc etc. But here's a funny aside: my four-year old, who just recently started kindergarten, came home one to day and announced to me that they had a "memputer" at school. "It makes me sad," she said. "Why?" I asked. "Because it's got no apples in it," she said.

A sweeping statement about PCs, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hey! We're not all married here!

what a good thread. I was just talking about this last night.

My lady friend is cool - though she will make mention that I cuddle with Kenya (my Pismo) a little too much when she's around. Hey - it's a lap - that's why I can have it with me on my couch while watching life channel with you dear... :D

But really, she's cool. Most of the time.

After all that, she too is switching. ;)

H!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I convinced my wife to switch to Mac (Powerbook 165c for university) before we were married, so she's a Mac user. She appreciates the way things just work, without major hardware hassles and tech support departments... like at her workplace where they have Win 98... blech. She likes our Cube and 17" Apple Studio LCD. But in terms of the HABIT part of it... I'm locked out, man... no new spending...

She's not a Mac FREAK like me,... but oh well, I can start working on my 9 month old daughter!

·
Registered
433 Posts
My bf doesn't get as excited as i do when new mac stuff is released, but he got a 17" PB in april and now LOATHES his PC. which makes me smile.

we're both mac-addicts, but i'm more extreme.

p.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
My fiance' agrees that Mac is far and away the best, but she finds it funny how obsessed/talkative I am about computers/science/technology in general, and is sometimes a little jealous at how much time I spend with my cute little PowerBook named "erica".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts