Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
$webGeek = 1;
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching around, and I couldn't believe it when I turned up empty handed after searching for something as simple as what people are using their Macs for so...

What Do You Use Your Mac For?

... To create beautiful artwork, as an eating tray, to run a business, as a paperweight: it would be interesting to see what Macs are out there these days and what people are using them for. Include details such as what Macs you own, their "names", all about what your Macs main purpose is, and maybe even some info about yourself and what you do. Let me start it off:

I own a 13" MacBook Pro "Charlene" and I use her for college. I am attending courses to earn a two-year Web Development Diploma from a local university-college. I have the Adobe CS4 Web Premium installed: because, almost all of our course work revolves around the industry standard: Adobe software lineup. The only game I play is online poker: and, other than that it has been great for keeping my life organized and for communicating with other people when I otherwise would not have had the chance.
Originally I bought a mac so I could quit breaking my mind with all of that virus farming: it's hard work!

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
My 15" MBP has no gender. Nor does my eMac or my core 2 duo Mac Mini. They are just things, albeit useful things.

The MBP is my workhorse. Among other things it does my invoicing, maintains and updates my website daily, does my banking, a lot of my shopping, plays my games and provides access to social networking. It contacts all my friends and family, gives me access to MobileMe and plays my music. I watch movies on it and use the widget calculator and weather reporting every day.

It looks up all types of information for questions I have, or those of family members. It keeps my software up to date and works flawlessly with my cell modem wherever I choose to be in North America.

It burns copies of my movie collection, or stores mp4 copies for later viewing. It burns the music I listen to in my motor home or SUV. It updates my 32 GB iPod Touch too. Not to mention daily updates to my external 1 TB HD.

It enhances my cooking skills by accessing all types of recipes I can try for variety. It gives me my daily news from both TV and newspapers and allows me to listen to radio stations from around the world.

Did I mention it allows me to post stuff like this on ehMac?

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
My Macs are used for a host of applications - from web browsing to scanning and handling historic photographs, but probably they are used the most for word processing and creating documents. My iMac also has my iTunes library, so I have tunes while I am writing. Many of these tasks would be very complicated without a Mac, especially for doing presentations or going on field trips, where the "they just work" philosophy never lets me down when I am away from my desk.

I wish my Macs could be used for CAD/CAM and CNC work, and perhaps even for some electronics and programming tasks, like an EPROM burner or a PIC chip programmer. To me, this is a pretty big gap, but it does not detract from the heavy usage I place upon my Macs for other purposes. I know that when my Macs are deceased, I will surely miss them, as I would have to migrate to less classy and more dysfunctional solutions.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I have a 2.2ghz macbook 4gb ram. I used to use it for school, but now that it's over. It is just my main home computer. albeit use it for everything/anything.

·
Premium Member
23,510 Posts
It tells me the time & the temperature outside...

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
There was a thread just like this a while back ... can't recall the title but it was basically the same concept.

Anyway, I presently just have a 2.16GHz Black MacBook I call "BlackBook." My main uses for it are posting way too many times a day on EhMac, writing various blog posts and articles/reviews/interviews, doing some ad production on the Adobe CS3 print suite, playing FATE occasionally, working on my photography, making my monthly podcast and listening to music. I also use my laptop to do a lot of presentations, mostly for the Victoria Mac Users Group though occasionally I will go up-island for other such classes/groups/conferences.

I never thought I would be so happy with "just" a laptop, particularly one that isn't even top-o-the-line, but by and large this thing handles what I throw at it and does it fairly speedily as long as it's not TOO graphics intensive. My next Mac will be a MacBook Pro, which I may need to buy before the end of the year for tax purposes, but have been very impressed with this BlackBook -- it's been by far the most reliable and handy computer I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I use my 15" MBP, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Esmerelda) to run my business.

When I'm in the office, it's hooked up to a nice 24" monitor, and is used primarily for preparing proposals for clients, writing up price quotes, doing various drawings and illustrations to include with the proposals and price quotes, invoicing and accounting work.

When I first started in this business 25 years ago most written communication was done via mail or courier. Then the fax came in which really improved the time it took to get drawings or illustrations to people. Nowadays 99% of my written communication is done via email. I still think it's cool that I can be on the phone with someone and send them a picture or drawing while we're talking. It makes communication so much more efficient.

I also use it to keep my corporate website up to date by uploading various installation photos to the website. Again, I think it is marvellous to be able to give someone a simple URL, have them go to it and by clicking a link or two be able to see a gallery of options to solve their problems.

When I'm on the road, I use it for presentations to various consultants and end users and for operation & maintenance training sessions. I also use it to show videos and photos at tradeshows.

When I'm in a hotel I also use it (via Skype) as a means of communication instead of expensive long distance cell phone calls. It also syncs with my iPod Touch which I use as a PDA when I don't want to pull out the laptop.

I used to do my job without a computer. I had an IBM Selectric typewriter and carbon paper. I don't think I could do that anymore.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
My 13" MacBookPro Unibody (named "Slick", no gender) is primarily used for work--email, Word, and Excel. Eventually, I will get around to putting VMWare on this and running QuickBooks under windows. (I do a little bit of bookkeeping on the Mac.)

Otherwise, it's for websurfing, storing photos and writing. Once in a blue moon, I listen to music. Recently, I've been watching movies and some TV shows on it.

Really speaking, I could get away with a lesser computer; I don't really need Slick for work but I prefer it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Electronista.com

Mac OS X actually has some particular workflow advantages for me, so while I could use Windows if I had to, I don't want to. :)

Apart from my site, my iMac and MacBook (both aluminum 2.4GHz models) are also my home systems, so just about everything computer-related involves them.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
My "real Mac" (the iMac) is my work machine. Adobe CS3 suite firing on all cylinders, Font Book, Mail, Fetch, iCal, and very little else.

Almost all play time is done on the hackbook now. Safari, VLC, iTunes, iPhoto, Vuze, games, etc, are pretty much all used on that.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
MacBook 2.0CoreDuo ... day to day home and professional eMail, web, minor graphics, backup & main storage, integrating with BlackBerry, all everyday computing tasks. This is the only computer exposed to the internet directly.

Mac Mini G4/1.4Ghz ... dedicated: audio and video playback; integrated with home sound and video system.

QuickSilver G4 867: Audio production & editing; legacy OS9 applications; legacy zip drive access.

SE/30: Used to be the phone messaging, fax and print center. No longer have a landline, so it's only around for the legacy floppy drive access.

PowerBook 180c: to remind me that you really can run an OS, Photoshop and Microsoft Word on a colour laptop with 2.5 Megabytes of RAM.

Other Mac's I've owned have moved on, and the MacBook will go too, when something new replaces it, but the others will stick around; the two G4s will still be doing work.

Next Mac Project: running a network-accessible home security system on a Intel Mini with Firewire 400 support. Looking for the Mini now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.