Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What do you use OS X for?

• Programming (CGI, Perl, ASP, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multimedia (Director, Flash, etc.)

• Motion Graphics (3d, Video production, etc.)

• Gaming

• Other

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it seems there are a few people that seem to have problems with OS X having the odd freeze, hang-up and such... which always made me think I'm either blessed or I don't push my Mac as hard as anyone else (which I find it hard to believe being in a visual industry that touches various areas of design, multimedia, web, illustration, 3d modeling animation, video production and anything in between).

So, my poll is... what do you use OS X for?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'm like you. I've never had any of the problems mentioned.

I didn't see an option for graphics. I use Painter8 and Photoshop7 quite a bit on a daily basis and have no problem with those apps. I use Safari almost exclusively as my browser. The odd time that I need word processing, I use Appleworks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
No problems here...

I've got development going on with Codewarrior (with the odd access exception - who said I had to allocate that memory), disk burning, backup up to ZIP disks, listening to iTunes, Mail and Safari going all at once. Even the odd game of Quake 3 Arena running.

Never ever had any problems. I don't have any haxies installed. The only 'extra' thing I've got installed is 'Cee Pee You" so I can get an idea of how busy the processors are without having to fire up CPU Monitor (which isn't really very accurate) or top which needs terminal.

John

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Graphics... yes, I meant to put that as an option, especially since it's one of the fields I make a living in... doh!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have used photoshop and a program called capture one for a phase camera back everyday and in 9 months have never had a freeze up on my titanium. I now use both on a dual 867 and haven't had a single hang up as of yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 'other': rather heavily into web design, though Perl and CGI naturally are directly descended from this. Also, the most significant use I have for my Macs is for wasting time, just puttering around. What's that? Well, yes, I may have a summative due, but that can wait: organizing my documents in Finder becons!

I would be very deeply into gaming, if it weren't for two factors: (a) I am running a 450 with a 16meg Rage 128 Pro, and a 667 with a 16 meg original radeon [mobility? it's in a powerbook...] (note: to understand why these specs are a problem, please see the 2-4 fps I'm getting in UT2K3 demo...) to AND (b) though Mac games are kicking around, there's a great enough dearth to warrant tears. I pray for change in that arena.

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Other: work - creating assignments/quizzes/exams/handouts for my students and posting them on my university web site. Writing papers and doing research.

No problems with OSX. I've had 3 kernel panics in the past year, 2 of which were caused by some program that I had running. The other was caused when I installed Jaguar. All is good. I only use 9 for a couple of games.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts