Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I finally got X... Jaguar to be exact. Yeah, I know... about freakin' time. I really like it. I haven't been able to kill it and believe me, I've been trying.

My only issue is that I keep being informed that I "don't have permission" to do certain things. How can I get permission? I'm the administrator.

D6

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you're getting that mesage in a dialog box you might notice a tiny lock icon in the bottom left corner. If its there, click on it and it will allow you to enter your admin username and password to authorize the action.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Actually, in UNIX, you are an administrator, you are just not a root user. An administer can make settings changes, move files (not all files) and a whole bunch of other stuff, but cannot make system killing changes. UNless of course you enable root for yourself. it is kind of complicated and un-mac-like.

YOu can also access permissions in the "Get Info" window, but for the love of jebus, if you don't know what it is, do not screw with it as you can easily kill your system by changing permissions and moving files.

--PB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:

YOu can also access permissions in the "Get Info" window, but for the love of jebus, if you don't know what it is, do not screw with it as you can easily kill your system by changing permissions and moving files.

--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see... perhaps I'll just leave well enough alone.

If I need to, how do I enable root? Is there one good site that explains all this so I don't have to keep asking dumb questions?

D6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts