Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What do you expect on WWDC?

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  harzack86 
#1 ·
Since WWDC is around the corner, I heard on some podcast what will MR. Jobs will anounce on his Keynote. Some says that we won't hear much about Leopard, because it will be a re-run of last year keynote. I heard also the rumor of newer iMacs, the death of the Mac Mini and new MacBook Pro's. In my opinion we won't see a newer widescreen iPod until the Holidays. But, what do you want to see in WWDC?
Lets our imagination roll.....

#3 ·
iMin, (I'm in), you're not just in front of the computer anymore, you're actually in the computer. Experience computing like never before. :p

I'm really hoping for new iWork with spreadsheet program though. Been waiting absolutely forever.

#21 ·
I'm really hoping for new iWork with spreadsheet program though. Been waiting absolutely forever.
Me Too! Ditto on the pricing.:D

#6 ·
i'm looking for a device that will not only meet all my computing needs, but also cook me breakfest and set my clothes out for the day! I call it iDenpendant

i'm thinking new MBP, perhaps new Cinema Displays and lots more hype about the iPhone. And the perhaps we will find out about the so called "secret" features of 10.5

#8 ·
Like I said before, I think the next gen. widescreen iPods will arrive after the iPhone crazyness. I'm really sure that we'll see a new iPod similar to the iPhone, without the phone capabilities. But that will be for the holidays. As a comitment to a "greenner" Apple, I think a NEW line of Cinema Displays with the new technology, that everyone is talking about will see the light soon.
This one is only a maybe: since Apple is jumping into the Consumer Electronics Market, Can we see an line of LCD TV's, that make a pair with the Apple TV?
Since Microsoft announced last week their new Touch Screen Computer Table, maybe we will see that same tech. into Leopard in conjuction with the newer cinema displays.
A new iLife suite is a most, since is very related to Leopard.

#11 ·
iWork / iLife '08? It's too late for '07.

iWork with a Spreadsheet app? (Oh god, I would die for this - I use spreadsheets more than word processing)

I can't imagine Apple doing LCD TVs, as good quality LCD TVs are expensive ( I'm not talking Acer or ImaKnockoff brands). Apple likes to make good margin on their products, and the only way to do that with LCD TVs would be to have them MASSIVELY over-priced versus the rest of the market.

#14 ·
Electronic Big Stuff? :eek:

#15 ·
New or updated consumer desktops, preview of Leopard, and an iPhone for every person that attends! :D I'm kidding on the last one.

#16 ·
Let's see what history tells us:

2006:
Leopard preview
MacPro
Xserve

2005:
Intel announcement
Quicktime 7 for Windows preview

2004:
Tiger preview
30" Cinema Display
XCode 2

2003:
G5 announced
Panther preview
iChat AV and iSight
Safari 1.0
XCode 1.0

2002:
Jaguar preview
iChat preview
Quicktime 6

So by looking at the past we see it can be feast (2003) or famine (2005) or somewhere in between. Usually it's pretty dry, though.

Me? I have my fingers crossed.

#19 ·
Given that WWDC is entirely about OS X and it's future and that MWSF had zero information on Leopard I expect it to be quite Leopard heavy - I'm honestly not expecting any major announcements (product wise) - a new iPod, or new iMac don't make sense at WWDC. However the iPhone I'd guess will play a role, especially if they give us an SDK.

Now the Leopard Feature Complete beta. I can get behind that. Especially Monday at lunch. ;-)

#24 ·
After watching the Bill and Steve interview from D5, in which Steve both agreed that .Mac had been languishing and alluded to new on-line services from Apple in the near future, does anyone else think .Mac might finally get some long needed attention?

What, if any, new characteristics of .Mac might interest the attendees of the WWDC keynote? How could Apple provide better .Mac access to apps? Can you think of new services .Mac could provide (apart from speed and storage increases that make the existing services more useful)? Given the collaboration with Google, do you think it's likely that we might see GoogleApps integrated with .Mac? My suspicion is that we'll be hearing about an SDK for the iPhone that allows iPhone apps to utilize .Mac storage, calendars, address books, etc. and perhaps something new and exciting like iChat, so you'll be able to use your iPhone to talk to any .Mac subscriber (at any distance) for free when your connected to the internet through WiFi.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

#26 · (Edited)
Basically I see the keynote being about Leopard's new features and iPhone's SDK. There may be an announcement of an update to the iMac's to include the LED screen's and new intel chipset but that's come under question lately. Also not sure how much AppleTV will get mentioned unless they open it up for 3rd party developers etc.

For leopard here's my quick list of highlights...
1. ZFS file system (Jonathan Schwartz announcement made this pretty much a given)
2. Totally new desktop that's a radical departure from the standard single pane view we've all grown up with. I think we'll see Core being used to wrap app's around a cube (spaces) to get around tiled 'windows'. I see the desktop being dynamic as well with the ability to have it change with different app's or be dynamic to allow us to use iCal as our 'wallpaper'.
3. lots more info on Time Machine
4. a significant update to .mac (steve admitted as much with the D5 interview)
5. Revamped iLife suite
6. iPhone integration with Leopard.
7. I fully expect to see Core Animation show up in Finder for viewing files/folders in 3D as well...basically I see Finder being significantly rewritten. I'd love to see it behave more like iTunes where metadata is used to find files more then the old folder / file name system. If we got into using Smart folders like we can in iTunes things could get very interesting. Esp. now that we've heard that ZFS is coming as volumes are no longer an issue so it wouldn't matter where the files are located

#27 ·
Steve was hinting in his interview with Mossberg that there would be something coming for .Mac users.

I hope they do some kind of Flickr type hosting. If I could sync my photos and settings between a couple of Macs automagically I would be in heaven. I know it can be done with Terminal commands and Cron scripts but I don't have time for that.

#29 ·
Introduction of free healthcare in the US and and the announcement of Apple's new transporter as hinted to by Gates at the D5 Conference interview with Jobs. Ok... so maybe wishful thinking on the free healthcare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.