Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my roomate have been both paying for separet net connections for the last little while, and have now decided to share one...which will be Rogers high speed.

What do i need to make this work...he has a Windows machine i have a mac...im running OSX.

Router?Splitter?Second Modem?

Please let me know...thanks

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Any of the Cable/DSL routers will work. You can use a single modem connection/internet account, the savings should allow you to pay for the router in 2 to 6 months.

My advice would be to have one of you own the router outright, which will save some hassle should one of you move.

I will leave the actual configuration details to the others with Rogers Cable; they seem to have more problems than I ever had with either Shaw or SaskTel (I just plug in and it works).

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
8thdegree,

don't be afraid.

i have rogers cable and a dsl/router and i recommend the d-link router 604+

cheap, works and canadian support

the router is setup via your browser i.e. "http://192.168.0.1"

5 minutes later you are done.

just set the router to DHCP so it will broadcast the addresses locally to both your machines.

BTW, rogers does not offer support for any router configuration for home use and bell doesn't either unless you buy their outragously priced router.

read the manual
take your time.

u will be pleased with the results.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I use a linksys router ... but they have no Mac support whatsoever.

I suggest Asanté Router as they have both PC and Mac support.

Same simple configuation via your browser.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Ha... I went thru this a while back. No problems whatsoever w/ Rogers dude. I had a Linksys - trashed it only because I got a better deal AND it does not support appletalk. I have a Mac friendly NetGear RP 614 currently hooked up, and also have a wireless NetGear MR 814 that I have yet to install - but got it on sale (like $80 around xmas). I just need to get a Airport card for my unit. A snap to install. Don't forget to get some long enough Cat 5 cabling dude. I get it at the Gorilla shop on Queen (Active). They have it for pretty cheap. With an adapter, I read that you can send the data thru your phone jack (Am I dreaming??).

·
Registered
137 Posts
So the Netgear MR814CN works fine with airport cards? Thanks!
It looks like all I need right now. (We now have a third computer in the house and Bell HSE will only give out two IPs at a time.)

Good timing too, I was just looking at one in the F.Shop flyer today for $99. - tho this is after an odious mail-in rebate.

Time to finally learn about I.P. routing, it's been all hubs up until now.

And I too get my cat 5 wire from the basement of Active Surplus. The gorilla has always been good to me!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I actually did not get the Airport card yet. On top of that, I likely will get a 3rd party one. But they should work fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by D k Cornelius:
So the Netgear MR814CN works fine with airport cards? Thanks!
It looks like all I need right now. (We now have a third computer in the house and Bell HSE will only give out two IPs at a time.)

Good timing too, I was just looking at one in the F.Shop flyer today for $99. - tho this is after an odious mail-in rebate.

Time to finally learn about I.P. routing, it's been all hubs up until now.

And I too get my cat 5 wire from the basement of Active Surplus. The gorilla has always been good to me!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks Ohenry!

I just bought the Netgear wireless router/switch and setting it up was a snap, no need to learn about I.P., yet.

I guess I might be better off using a non Apple card as well to log in if I want to be sure to be able to log in with my TiBook 667 (dvi) from say, the back patio this summer.

Any suggestions for cards? Do they have to be PCMCIA based? I'm guessing yes if I want the better range. Are any third party ones made for the internal airport slot?

I'm worried that a PC card based access card would be too bulky to carry around all the time. My PowerBook barely squeezes into the padded compartment in my brief case as it is.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Heart, which Linksys router do you utilize?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am looking at the D Link routers, specifically the D-LINK CABLE/DSL 4-PORT ROUTER 10/100 IPSEC VPN which is about double the price of a D Link 604. I use a powerbook G4 for business and also have a couple of imacs at home. For business I connect remotely to the office server using a VPN connection. Do I need the pricier router to do this securely. I know the VPN already works using current internet connection. Any comments on pros/cons of each would be appreciated before I make a purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Or for a much better solution, grab an old Pentium PC (you know the free ones that sit on the curbs waiting for the garbagemen) and build a nice Linux based gateway. If you are nervous about IPChains etc... then use one of the "turn-key" packages available.

One of the best is Clark Connect. Besides - it's free and it's Canadian!

ClarkConnect

I've got a very large network in my house (Mac's, Sun's, HP's, PC's, printers etc...) and it works great. It works as an FTP server, Apache Web server, Samba (Windows) server, Netatalk (AppleTalk) server, SSH server and much more!

I didn't mean to make this sound like an infomercial, but everytime I use one of those router-in-a-box solutions at other people's places I really miss the configurability of my Linux boxes... I just got back from the west coast and it seems that most places I stay at want me to swap computer admin/home theater guru services for room and board.

So if you're a techno geek with some Linux/Unix interest (and you should - it will help with OS X), try it out.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Y'know I seriously considered converting my old PC into a Linux box to manage my gateway and network, but it seemed like too much of a hassle for too little benefit. As I saw things, since my ISP insisted on DHCP, there's no way to gain the benefit of static IPs, so no remote mail etc etc. The only thing I could see it doing for me is serving as a spam filter.

I opted for a router instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts