Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
This PDF from Apple has the specs at the end. 16 MB Video card does some QE goodnees but you want 32 MB or higher for best performance.

ATI 7500 for PCI (around $170 Cdn) is great or if you are replacing AGP the 8500 or 9000 is awesome.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The best video card, the ATI Radeon 9700 is supposed to be coming soon. But no date has been set, so it's unknown how long you'd have to wait for it... a month, 2 months. The ATI Radeon 9700 is supposed to be even better than the Geforce FX which hasn't even been announced for the Mac. Of course you may not ever fully utilize the performance of an ATI Radeon 9700 on a current Mac.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
QE requires any AGP-factory video card as long as it's a Mac-version ATI Radeon (32 MB or more), or any nVidia Geforce card (any card, version, VRAM size). I assume you're using a tower? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
I think Lars is right on the 32 megs. I have a Pismo G3 with 8 megs and a G4 350 with 16 megs, and I can't tell any real performance difference on the G4. Maybe with 32 megs.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
The rage 128 PCI and the rage 128 pro AGP is not supported by QE
anything newer is, anything 32 mb and some 16 mb one, the mobile radeon is sported at 16

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
The rage 128 PCI and the rage 128 pro AGP is not supported by QE
anything newer is, anything 32 mb and some 16 mb one, the mobile radeon is sported at 16
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on, that answerd Csonni' question. Your cards were not even supported. The only 16 MB cards supported by QE are Mobility Radeons, which are only found in 600 MHz or newer iBooks and Powerbook G4s.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Actually, the thing needed for QE is any video card that supports textures sizes that aren't a multiple of 2. Rage 128 (Pros) didn't do that. All newer cards do. AS for video memory, you can use a card with 16MB of memory, but that wouldn't allow a very large screen size because of the double buffering - something like 9MB of video memory for a screen at 1024 x 768 x millions of colors.

John

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
the cheapest route to QE is flashing a GeForce 2mx or PCI Radeon 7000

A GeForce 2mx costs about $55 these days, and with rebate a Radeon 7000 costs about $70

And for those of you who say you can't flash a Radeon 7000, you might like to share the news with my mac

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trevor 10.2:
the cheapest route to QE is flashing a GeForce 2mx or PCI Radeon 7000

A GeForce 2mx costs about $55 these days, and with rebate a Radeon 7000 costs about $70

And for those of you who say you can't flash a Radeon 7000, you might like to share the news with my mac
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but since there's a Mac version of the Radeon 7000, why would you want to flash? Maybe if you're really on a tight budget. Mac Editions are generally more stable than flashed ones, and carry official support.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The Radeon 7000 is the EXACT same card, why would you want to pay $200 for an offical Mac radeon when you can just run the 119 ROM updater on a PC version that is a third the price.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The Radeon 7000 is the EXACT same card, why would you want to pay $200 for an offical Mac radeon when you can just run the 119 ROM updater on a PC version that is a third the price.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because by flashing a PC version card, you don't get any support, offically, anyway, and it's hard for others to help you as well.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Support for what?

Anyone who can flash a videocard, probably isn't going to be needing much in the way of the support offered by ATI.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
The Radeon 7000 is the EXACT same card, why would you want to pay $200 for an offical Mac radeon when you can just run the 119 ROM updater on a PC version that is a third the price.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a pointer to this "119 ROM updater"?

Once this has been updated for use on the Mac, can the later flash updaters be used?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Sounds like it may have been a pipe dream. I haven't been able to find the flash files needed to make the Radeon 7000 Mac compatible, yet alone the ones needed for the popular 64MB PC version.

If you are looking for AGP info, there seems to be quite a bit of info on the web concerning the different models that can be re-flashed to work in Macs. Try doing a Google search...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts