1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aquired a secondhand imac g3 400 it has OS X on it 13 gigs and a DVD
I know very little about macs
two things

One the old owner dumped it with the harddrive full of info i have called them and they said they would get back to me but the drive seems to be controlled by an administrator key and i not have the password what do i do?

Second when i was talking to them they said that the computer had problems, but they did not know what problems. How do i find out is there software i can run that will help me out.

what ought i to do?

plz any suggesttions welcome

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The first thing to do is to request the installation disks that were included with the Mac. Until you have it/them, or a retail version of a supported operating system, there's not much to do.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If the seller cannot/will not supply the original installation disks, you will need to purchase a retail version of OSX in order to do a new OS installation & claim control of the computer.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Try the Wanted section of the Classifieds here on ehMac:

http://www.ehmac.ca/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=7

I see you showed some interest in OS 8.6 but your computer may require either specific OS disks; alternatively, with enough RAM, you could run the latest system with non-computer-specific OS disks.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
The retail version of Tiger comes on DVDs -- OK I see you have a DVD-ROM

Chances are it install on this machine - does the machine have a Firewire port?.

I would go with OS 9.1, truthfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.