Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What browser are you using?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Yeah! I have also found Safari still a little incompatible with special sites. Ones that require java, logging in, passwords etc.

So I have put IE back in the dock, I flip to it when a site does not work. I can not be bothered to try the other third party programs. I am tired of of learning new programs...

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I'm unfortunately forced to use Internet Exploiter,
Mainly because I don't have Jaguar installed and the
last time I tried a beta version of Mozilla it had caused
a lot of undo problems with my O.S. and made me
reinstall my system.

So...Better safe than sorry.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
i use safari primarily. when i can't use it for certain sites i use camino. i wouldn't get used to explorer though, microsoft has announced that they will not be making any more versions or upgrades of explorer. they say they can't keep up with safari. the problem with all this is explorer is the default browser for applications such as dreamweaver and imageready ( the two programs i use ) camino works but not nearly as well.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What i hate about Safari, is that it rarely keeps my preferences!

I like to set my downloads to go to a designated "Downloads" folder. But every time i restart the program, it loses the pref. Same with setting my home page.

I also have issues with some websites, that i never had a problem with IE.

Any idea how to fix my issue?

Peter

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
My mainstay is Safari; sure it's 1.0 - but a highly competent and solid 1.0.

I use Mozilla Firebird now, as my backup browser instead of Camino, for sites that Safari doesn't handle well at the moment. As I've not been using Firebird that long, I haven't run across any sites that it won't work with.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Safari on Macs, Firebird on any PC I use.

Safari 1.0, is not all that great, they have some glaring bugs, and still some problems there, although enabling the debug menu can help avoid such things. Can't wait for 1.1, which is what Safari 1.0 should have been. I really think Apple should have waited to release 1.0, and could have just announced that 1.0 will be released in August or something as they released another public beta, and to squash more bugs. Its awesome, but still feels like beta software in some ways.

As for macdoc's comments about iCab, I used to echo his sentiments, but iCab has fallen behind. Its still my browser of choice if I use a 68k machine, but compared to say Firebird, Camino or any newer browsers, its ability to render CSS, handle JavaScript and several other web page staples has fallen behind. Ars Technica had a really good look at Mac Browsers here: Mac Browser Test at ArsTechinca.com.

To their credit however, iCab is an absolute blast to use however, I enjoyed every minute or using it.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I used Camino since the early days (when it was still called Chimera) but Mozilla Firebird is quite nice. I expecially like that you can add themes and attibutes. I have set mine up with the Chimera theme so it looks like Camino & I have installed the mouse gesture attributes which allow me to go fowards and backwards by drawing a line with my mouse that corresponds to the direction I want to go. I have also installed a user agent attribute that allows me to select which user agent I want to send to the server by selecting it in a drop down (this is like the debug option in Safari).

I try to avoid IE (it's much slower) but the way some people code these days you need to use it occassionally. :rolleyes: Since Microsoft has stopped making IE for the Mac, I hope more people flame those who code only for IE for Windows. :mad:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like Safari, but it won't work on certain sites, such as the Major League Baseball site where I tap into streaming audio via RealPlayer. But I still use Netscape 7.1 and find it works very well with Jaguar. I know it has fallen out of favour with lots of users, but you might find it's worth a try again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts