Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have an iBook 900 w/ 384mb ram. I am no musician but GB sound like a whole lot of fun! Even just to screw around with and make funky songs and just excercise whatever creativness one is capable of. But what I am not too clear on is what are my limits with a G3 900mhz computer like mine? I do understand their are "some" G4 minmum requirments for GB. I've never used any music app before and I'm not fimiliar with all the accesories and terms. (I'm sure its simple enough that even i can grasp.) But what are my limits on my iBook wwhen it comes to GB?

Cheers!! :cool:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Quote from the Apple store:
System Requirements
Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
-600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand; G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments

256MB of physical RAM
Display with at least 1024-by-768-pixel resolution
Mac OS X v10.2.6 or later (v10.2.8 or later recommended)
QuickTime 6.4 or later (QuickTime 6.5 included)
4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie only

Important Notes:
DVD drive required to install GarageBand
Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
To clarify further on dolawren's post, it means you can't really do any recording yourself with your iBook. (eg. Plug in a keyboard and record songs with the software instruments). But you can however use GarageBand like most people here by putting loops together.

Though you will be limited to the amount of tracks you can do though. I know on my PB G4, when the processor was set to the minimum (it was on the battery) it wouldn't play if there were more then 6 tracks, but when set to automatic or higher it has handled up to 10. (12" PB 1Ghz G4)

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Some people may be having a blast with GarageBand, but no way is it snappy on our 800mhz G4 iMac FP with 768mb RAM and OS X 10.3.2. We haven't tried recording anything yet, just mousing around the interface... lots of delay in having controls respond, windows draw, etc.

Now, a dual 1.2ghz PowerMac - that would probably be just fine....

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts