1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
meh. I wouldn't trust it for a second. Over inflated numbers. Too many sites crammed onto a sever. A company that uses a web template as their own site (sad).

I'll stick with the amazing service I get from A Small Orange - Web Hosting, Software and more!
Maybe we should start with "hosting dirty tricks"?

Many HSPs (hosting service providers) will place hundreds of site on the same IP and have the server running at near full capacity.

While I have never used Canaca.com, they may have a good deal. The problem is that customers don't care about quality hosting (as it's hard to gauge for most).

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I don't understand the negative reaction from someone who has never heard of the service, let alone tried it.

I have used them in the past. I think these are some significant bumps in terms of capacity and storage, compared with when I was with them. I had no problems with them while I was a customer. My former employer still uses them to host their business website and they have experienced no downtime issues (though it doesn't get a lot of traffic). When we had to make changes to our domain and mail provider (changin MX records, etc.) their technical support was responsive and quickly solved our issues. Kind of surprising service, actually.

I eventually moved away from them because I wanted a hosting plan with IMAP mail servers, which Canaca doesn't offer.

Also note that the $3.95/mo is for a two-year pre-paid plan and their prices are in $US. Still a good deal, though.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
A lot of these "offers" are all marketing.
How many really need all that storage space?
If you have a half decent site, a page takes less than 100k.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Google: Canaca hosting reviews. Pretty bad imho. Most people rate reliability in the 1-5 out of 10, same for customer service.

My host is frozenwebhost, and I have to say they're totally reliable, available on MSN for direct customer support. I pay 5$ CDN for 1GB/10GB BandWidth, PHP support, MySQL database, etc. I find I don't need more, as all my videos are hosted either on stage6 or vimeo. The server went down once as far as I can tell, but was back within minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I've had two clients switch from Canaca to my hosting service. Price is definitely NOT the only factor. As has already been mentioned:

- Reliability and services - Uptime isn't the only factor. How fast is the server? What about the FTP server? SQL database? etc.

- Overselling - Many cheap hosting companies will oversell a domain's space and transfer. That means they have 50TB of space sold to clients, but only actually have 1 TB of space on the server. What does that mean to the client? It means they are usually running near capacity, so when you want to take advantage of that 500GB and try to upload a huge amount of files, you'll crash their server.

- 2 year contract - Most companies that offer huge discounts on long contracts do so because they can't retain customers, so they force them to sign up on long contracts, and get the money up front.

- The fine print: I don't recall if it was Canaca, but I'm 90% sure it was... some hosting companies will have a clause hidden in their terms (only available after signing up) stating that video files are not allowed on the server, and they can terminate your account at any time, for any reason. That means if you actually take advantage of the 500GB in any way, they just cut you off.

- The ultra fine print: Again, I don't recall if this was Canaca specifically, but some hosting companies offering "500GB" don't really give you 500GB. Hidden in their terms somewhere, you'll find that they actually only give you 20GB. When you reach 80% capacity, you have to email them to request another 20GB, until you reach a maximum of 500GB.

Ahh... the tricks of the trade. :) That's why I don't even try to compete. Word of mouth works fine for me.

A7

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Ahh... the tricks of the trade. :) That's why I don't even try to compete. Word of mouth works fine for me.

A7
Don't forget bandwidth throttling - sure the bandwidth is unlimited, we just slow down the speed available to your site...

Our host headers take 1 sec to direct to your site - good luck..

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had Canaca for awhile. It went down all the time and my site was hacked and taken over once. I would never recommend Canaca to anyone.

I use my dot mac and also Canadian Hosting services. $10/month. Never gone down or been slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts