Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At various tasks, such as opening some apps, etc., I've noticed the pretty beachball that Apple implemented for us in OSX. Obviously, there must be more than just visual going on. Can someone explain how we should interpret the spinning of the multi-colored beachball? Is the processor having a difficult time accessing some files? Is it normal to see the ball during certain tasks which put a load on the processor?

·
Registered
778 Posts
yup, depending on the type of processor, ram, hard drive seek speed and what you are doing, you could tie up your processor for a long time.

If you want to see what is tying up your resources, open up a terminal session and type "top" into the command line and watch the processes that are running and how much CPU cycles they are using

Apps like iTunes are and MS Office v.X are hogs for CPU usuage

·
Registered
237 Posts
The spinning beach ball means that the application is not processing events. When an application is launching, it's may be busy doing other things like looking for files. finding resources, checking language setting, etc. The operating system notices that there isn't any event processing, so it turns on the beachball.

I've got a program that does an amazing amount of CPU (I could tell you, but ...), since I'm not processing events = beachball.

Another different version (that's much smarter IMHO) that starts processing events much (much!) earlier, uses threads to fire off processor tasks = no beachball.

John

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Mine is usually going for a coffee... :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dthompson101:

If you want to see what is tying up your resources, open up a terminal session and type "top" into the command line and watch the processes that are running and how much CPU cycles they are using
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or just go to your Utilities folder and open Process Viewer.app. Same thing with a GUI.

--PB

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hacked my "BEachball" to a pretty blue spash, it looks ten times better, i hated the beachball for killing my puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts