Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Futureshop has this sale on, not in stock anymore, but you never know, the sale ends Sept. 4, 2003.

The model is:

Western Digital Cavier SE 120GB 7200, 40 pin EIDE, ATA 66/100/133 Bus

My question is, will this work in my G4 450?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Absolutely. Any IDE drive will work in your G3 or G4 Powermac. Once it's installed, you'll have to format it for a Mac.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Britnell,

Thank you for the link. How do I set the jumpers? I mean where do I find them? What does it mean by slave and master? How can I make the WD the main bootable drive afterwards so that when I transfer from the old to the new that when I turn on my computer it will start up from the WD?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
How do I set the jumpers? I mean where do I find them?
The jumpers are inbetween the power plug and the IDE cable connector. If you turn the drive over and look at the circuit board the pin settings are printed corresponding to the setting.

What does it mean by slave and master?
One drive has to be master unless it's the only drive on the IDE chain - the master drive is usually the last drive on the IDE cable. Master and slave is computer geek for drive one and two (actually drive 0 and 1) The master has nothing to do with the slave drive it's just that you have to tell the computer you have two drives on this IDE cable and you have specified that the master is drive 0 and the slave is drive 1. Newer Macs use the CS selection (cable select) the Mac will decide the master slave position based on the connection to the cable.

How can I make the WD the main bootable drive afterwards so that when I transfer from the old to the new that when I turn on my computer it will start up from the WD?
Easy, just copy the files over (if in OS 9) or use Carbon Copy Cloner if in OSX to copy your existing files to the new drive. Then in your system preferences select the startup disk and choose your new drive. No sweat ...

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just installed a WD drive in my FW800 G4.

You have to remember to: a) set the jumpers to the slave position for the new drive
b) set the jumpers to the Master position on the existing computer.

go here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26262

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your input and help
This has been quite the adventure, but I'm always up for learning something new ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a WD 60 Gig 7200 RPM from Future Shop last week for $70 after rebates. I'm very happy with it...fast and quiet.

The instruction book that comes with it has detailed pictures of how to set your drive jumpers.Pretty much a piece of cake.

I think you'll be very happy with your WD hard drive.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone,

Ok here is another question on hard drives. Can I use a 160GB 8 Cache 7200rpm in my G4 450? I have read that in older G4s that the Mac will only read up to 137GB? Will that be it in my case? How can I get my Mac to read the rest?

An example would be Western Digital SE 160GB that comes with an ATA 100 card. Can that be used in my Mac?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Macdoc,

So I take it that the ATA 100 that comes with the WD 160GB 8 MB 7200rpm won't work in my Mac and I will need an ATA 100 that will work in my Mac?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts