Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was reared ended at a complete stop, a drunk driver hit her from behind at 75KM/h

i cannot believe in this time and age we have idiots who still think drinking and driving is still acceptable.. smh - now we have weed to deal with as well..

that said I have to say i am was impressed by the VW ATLAS.. I drove to where the accident happened gave my wife the other SUV to drive home, i drove my atlas home, the officer and I pushed the wheel well away from the tire.. [ i was scorn by tow operators in the past, before you ask why i took it home ]...

The good news is the bitch drunk driver was arrested, had 5 police officers show up as she refused to exit her SUV..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42,492 Posts
Glad your family is OK, MD! The Atlas held up well--not so the front end of the idiot who rear-ended your wife.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Glad everyone is in one piece.

Is that what you went car camping in?

·
Premium Member
15,672 Posts
So glad to hear that your wife was okay, and that's quite amazing how well the VW held up.

Did its airbags go off when she got hit,???... as they can do a fair bit of damage to the body and face when they go off.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So glad to hear that your wife was okay, and that's quite amazing how well the VW held up.

Did its airbags go off when she got hit,???... as they can do a fair bit of damage to the body and face when they go off.

- Patrick
======
no air bags were deployed.. my kids were in the rear left and front passenger seats as well.
- funny though.. i always wonder why they didn't go off.

Glad everyone is in one piece.

Is that what you went car camping in?
thank you, everyone is a little soar and shell shocked but okay thus far.

Yes that is the beast that we utilize for beach and camping outings.. we miss it extremely it is our family boat.. it is very cavernous..

Insurance has us in an Audi Q5 - we hate it.. so small, the controls are brutally annoying and confusing on it..
I requested they find another atlas to rent for us till we get ours back..

BTW - more to the story that I left out.. i had this on my VW Atlas and the police say it made massive difference to the results .. it shattered, but i believe it made a difference too.
https://www.weathertech.ca/en/bumpstep-original/
can't wait to replace it as well.. insurance said they will - i recommend every automobile have one if they have a tow option on it. saves us in every day usage believe me ...

·
Premium Member
15,672 Posts
BTW - more to the story that I left out.. i had this on my VW Atlas and the police say it made massive difference to the results .. it shattered, but i believe it made a difference too.
can't wait to replace it as well.. insurance said they will - i recommend every automobile have one if they have a tow option on it. saves us in every day usage believe me ...

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check their site and see if they have a unit that will fit the hitch my wife's uses for her bike rack on her Nissan x-trail Bonaventure.

- Patrick
======

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
no air bags were deployed.. my kids were in the rear left and front passenger seats as well.
- funny though.. i always wonder why they didn't go off. *SNIP*
Am relieved to know your family is safe!

Re. your question, airbags are designed to go off only in frontal collisions above a certain speed, and in some cases of rollovers on the side (side-curtain airbags). There are no airbag sensors in the back; that's why your airbags dod not go off.

And even in frontal collisions or rollovers, airbags only deploy when the car is hit at certain specific points; not all over the front.

The reason airbags are not meant to deploy in rear-end collisions is because airbags are designed to prevent your chest and head hitting the steering wheel or the dash in the event of a sudden stop (as is the case in front-end collisions); because though the car stops your body still moves forward due to inertia.

In the example of a rear collision, the car accelerates, not decelerates. So, there is no danger of your hitting the wheel or the dash. On the contrary, you are pushed back into your seat and your head-restraint on your seat prevents whiplash. And in the case of child-seats, the whole seat back supports the child and the danger is mitigated. Plus, when you stop from being pushed forward, your seat belt is enough to prevent you from hitting anything.

That's why your airbags did not deploy. They were not supposed to or expected to.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am relieved to know your family is safe!

Re. your question, airbags are designed to go off only in frontal collisions above a certain speed, and in some cases of rollovers on the side (side-curtain airbags). There are no airbag sensors in the back; that's why your airbags dod not go off.

And even in frontal collisions or rollovers, airbags only deploy when the car is hit at certain specific points; not all over the front.

The reason airbags are not meant to deploy in rear-end collisions is because airbags are designed to prevent your chest and head hitting the steering wheel or the dash in the event of a sudden stop (as is the case in front-end collisions); because though the car stops your body still moves forward due to inertia.

In the example of a rear collision, the car accelerates, not decelerates. So, there is no danger of your hitting the wheel or the dash. On the contrary, you are pushed back into your seat and your head-restraint on your seat prevents whiplash. And in the case of child-seats, the whole seat back supports the child and the danger is mitigated. Plus, when you stop from being pushed forward, your seat belt is enough to prevent you from hitting anything.

That's why your airbags did not deploy. They were not supposed to or expected to.

Cheers
funny you say that. last year wife was in an accident last year in our cherokee, she was in the middle sandwich and no air bags deployed .. she was hit from behind and then slammed into the auto in front of her.. The front mini van stopped for no reason on the hi way, she was in the middle of avoiding it, but another mini van hit her from behind...

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check their site and see if they have a unit that will fit the hitch my wife's uses for her bike rack on her Nissan x-trail Bonaventure.

- Patrick
======

Trust me on this.. it is a mall parking savior, as well when you are at home parking in the garage, plus it is amazing for loading your SUV, make climbing in and out easy.. best money i have spent to date.. not to mention when we are parked downtown Toronto on the streets, many other drivers have spacial issues with parallel parking, this has saved us numerous times.

·
Premium Member
15,672 Posts

Darn!!! They are only made for 2 Inch hitches it seems, and I think my wife's Thule bike rack is only 1.25". I will have to check it when she gets home.

PS: The same company's Side Window Deflectors are excellent quality and excellent fit that I installed on my 2006 Suzuki aerio 5 door hatchback to stop the annoying rain drips coming into my lap when driving in the rain.

- Patrick
======

1 - 10 of 10 Posts