Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so you know in the top of any finder window you'll see how much space you have left on your hard drive? well, i'll start up my computer and it will be at 5.6 gigs. and then after using it for awhile i'll look at my space and it will be at 4.6 gigs. and i've only been using it for an hour! no editing, no importing/downloading of anything.

what is goin on?

p.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Well... lots of possibilities... (like, Word v.X eating up your space while "idling", like it seems to do on mine).

..but you don't mention if there are any programs running... does this happen if you just boot your Mac, and then let it sit for an hour, or are you doing something?

If you're surfing the web, then your cache is filling up....

You have 256 megs RAM, so you're probably not filling up pageouts / swapfiles...

M.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
What are you doing? If you have a lot of apps open or are using an app that requires some RAM, then MacOS X will make swapfiles which can be big.

Actually, if you do only have 256MB of RAM it is likely if you are doing image editing or something similar.

If you restart, does the disk space go back to 5.6? If so, than it's just the swap files. Nothing to worry about.

If it doesn't go back to 5.6, look in /tmp for temp files that didn't get deleted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts