Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up my desktop and discovered a 13 GB file labelled "ziiBNJPO" that only indicates it can open in TextEdit.

I tried adding an extension (.mov and .mp4) just to see if it might be a video file given its size. But that didn't work. I have no idea what this is but could definitely used getting the space back.

I noted when it was last modified and checked back in my dayplanner but that didn't reveal anything useful.

Any ideas what this could be? It's so big so I'm hesitant to just delete it without knowing what it is....or may be.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Why not transfer the file to a USB stick and erase it from your HD to gain back the space, then worry about what it may be later. This would also tell you if the file affects anything if removed from the resident HD.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I could do that, though then I'd be afraid of forgetting about it! LOL...

On my laptop, I'm not sure how I'd notice if it affected anything if removed unless it was a really obvious. Any idea what could be affected? ...maybe that's a silly question?

thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I suppose I could do that, though then I'd be afraid of forgetting about it! LOL...

On my laptop, I'm not sure how I'd notice if it affected anything if removed unless it was a really obvious. Any idea what could be affected? ...maybe that's a silly question?

thanks.
Nope, no idea, but since I began using Macs back in 1988, I have experienced plenty of weird things that I just gave up and trashed.

If you're worried about it, just label the stick and set it on your desk, then use your reminder to set a prod for 30 days later. If you haven't missed anything or had any further issues with your Mac, do whatever you wish with the file, but you will then know whatever it is no big deal. ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea! Makes sense. thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts