Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There aren't many great rich text editors out there for the Mac, especially when you just want to jot down a simple text document free of tables and such. There's no need to run Microsoft Word when there is a good - and free - word processor made for the Mac.

You can't make coffee from it, but James Hoover designed Bean to "make writing convenient, efficient and comfortable." I've been running Bean for a while, and it's really lived up to that statement and hasn't disappointed me. If you want a quick and simple place to jot down notes while working and save them, this does the trick nicely.

Hoover, whose web site includes a complete essay detailing the creation of Bean, mainly credits his passion for both programming and novel writing for bringing about the program. It launches instantly and has a fairly robust toolbar that can be further customized. The toolbar, unlike MS Word, has a fairly small amount of real estate; so don't expect to bulk out your toolbars. Bean's main function is simple text processing, and it performs and runs smoothly.

Click here to continue...

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Hey ehMax, I might just be stupid, but I often want to download the weekly download, so I follow the link in your posts expecting to find a way to do the download, but there is no obvious way to download.

What's up with that?

Why isn't there a link to download in the article - something that says, click here to download would be good.

Thanks, Margaret

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ehMax, I might just be stupid, but I often want to download the weekly download, so I follow the link in your posts expecting to find a way to do the download, but there is no obvious way to download.

What's up with that?

Why isn't there a link to download in the article - something that says, click here to download would be good.

Thanks, Margaret
Most of the time, the articles just have links to the companies website which contains the actual download link. I will forward the suggestion to have a link to the actual download of the software.

Until that, click here to download Bean. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Nice little app. Doesn't offer too much over TextEdit, though those little bits and pieces sure are nice.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I've been using Bean for a long time now, and really appreciate it as a good basic word processor -- it has the "extras" I'm looking for (word count, lightweight, easy to use etc) without all the baggage of MS Word (though it does export/import Word to a limited degree, more than good enough for most users).

I don't use it as much as Pages anymore (because Pages is just ... better all around), but if you're looking for a great FREE everyday word processor, they don't get much better than Bean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts