Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of wading into the waters of having a website and hope that anyone could offer advice for a completely inexperienced host. I have sympatico and they have a lite program but I dont want to jump in to this and find it to be useless although I am willing to learn I would like a heads-up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please visit my web page at: http://www.hamneggs.org These pages were constructed using Aolpress. Its very easy to learn and even comes with some help files. I only used Coldfusion 4 for some minor tags as well as audio. I have a black and yellow banner somewhere on the pages(Aolpress),click on it and it should lead you to a place that you can download it from. There are both PC and MAC versions there. OH! Did I mention that its free. There is a limited users group, because AOL no longer has anything to do with this program. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Try starting at the beginning - learn basic HTML. Diving into a WYSIWYG program without knowing how the internals work is asking for trouble. I use GoLive, and end up editing the source code regularly.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Just 'cause I like stating the bleedin' obvious...

There's always .Mac HomePage, with which you create websites easily via a web interface, and also use iPhoto to create web photo albums.

.Mac ....check it out! :cool:

M

·
peek-a-boo
16,654 Posts
Pretty big question, without knowing how into this you want to get. If it's a small hobby, and you don't mind spending a moderate amount of time learning something relatively easy, do as Gerbill suggested, and learn basic html. www.webmonkey.com has some tutorials. With a bit html knowledge, you can use notepad...eerr, simpletext. (right.. mac! ;) )
I have told a few friends to use composer in netscape to buld simple pages. Its free and works reasonably well for simple stuff. You'll find either by apple+4 or window>composer.

Or if you really want a serious program, dreamweaver or golive.
Those online tools work ok I guess, but not my choice. Some like it and it works. Perhaps it would for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find that most people I know use and prefer Macromedia Dreamweaver - it's more or less the standard much like photoshop is for image editing - so if you want to learn something useful, grab a trial version of dreamweaver. There are tons of great websites and books out there to help you get started.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A couple of things. I recommend that folks starting out try Web Weaver

It is great for connecting the code visually to what you are trying to do... then move to a WYSIWYG program later (Go Live, Dreamweaver etc)

You also will need an FTP program Fetch or Interarchy (My fave)

As for hosting I am an ISP reseller and have been able to help a lot of folks make this Internet thing really simple - give me a shout - love to help you out. check out:

my site

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

You don't need a FTP program if you use Dreamweaver. Also, you can get a free serial for Fetch if you are an education customer.

James

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the sugestions. It's something I am going to have to work on,just like all the other things I would like to learn like Maya, Cadintosh.Illustrator..etc. For a bear of little brain and less free time I think I will take the wimp option and get a trial .mac account and see if I can get my bearings.Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts