Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm thinking of throwing together a small board just for my family members and friends to go on and post etc.
Is there a cheap yet dependable space provide that someone can recomend?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have DSL.I dunno.More of a security thing I think.I also want to give usernames and log ins to them as well and have NO idea how to set that up in OSX.
I reboot alot for various reasons,and everytime I reboot I'd have to send an email to everybody to change their address for the site.I'd like it to remain simple above all else.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, there's CommunityZero, which charges people now. (http://www.communityzero.com).

For free, you can always make a Yahoo group in "Families" and post there, but it's not private.

The best solution is to get a free BBS up and running on your ISP, like iconboard. (http://www.ikonboard.com/) Your ISP probably gave you about 5MB of always-on web space. Use it.

Good luck!

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
re: hosting your own site

I'm on Cable, via Videotron, but woudn't hosting your own site be kind of slow anyway (regardless of saving money)? I don't know how other companies are set up, but via Videotron they cap the amount of data that can be served from your connection.

I attempted to host my own site complete with my own DNS server and it was horribly slow to access -- so much so that I closed it down after a couple of weeks (and friends complaining).

Isn't this pretty much standard with all ISPs? Just curious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sputnik! I love your animated icon. Sorry, I know it's not related to this subject. I just had to say something about it. SIGH!.........kinda reminds me of my youth.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx dude.
It's actually an online stickman cartoon of sorts called Xiao Xiao
There is a cool virtual cop type game also done in the same fasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts