Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I have a question for all you web buffs. I'm a novice site builder and wondered what the gang @ ehMac thought when it comes to monitor settings. Should I have it set to 1024X768 or 800X 600? I ask since mine is set to 1024x768 and I find my site looks odd on other peoples systems. Thanks and hope your all well. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Designers tend to have it at 1024x768 cuase they need the space, while more "normal" if I can use that to describe the average web surfer uses 800x600. I prefer 1024x768 for the greater real estate, but a great deal of PCs and Macs are set @ 800x600.
In the end it shouldn't matter as long as the site is designed so it can work on 800x600 resolution.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
motoyen
tell me, how are you keeping up on your stats? And are you paying for this? Thanks for the info :cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
When checking my stats I find that my visiters are split about 50/50 between those two resolutions. It used to be 800x600 was the more common res but people seem to be shifting over to the higher res now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah chealion, I gotta say this is the best form for macs I've come across. the whole form posting is rather new to me but this is just great. I find myself now wanting to be able to answer someone elses questions. but for now I am still learning from all of you. Not to worry my friend my day will come!! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
The rule of thumb I've come across, is to make your site between 500 - 800 pixels wide that way it fits within the 640-480 (aging mother in-law) to 1024-786 (newage super eyes) range.

If find myself continuously check between different resolutions. Use Tables to keep the content together in all sizes, and always produce for the lowest common denominator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts