Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been archiving my pictures on the above mentioned HD for about a year, and recently began backing them up to separate external drive. This morning I got a Disk Utility error message saying the MacOS couldn't repair the disk, and while its files remain accessible, I cannot edit them or save them. The message said to back up the disk ASAP and reformat.

However, when I tried to used Disk Utility to erase/reformat the disk I got more error messages (Erase failed, restore failed), and now the disk won't even mount. Is it dead? Thankfully, the backup archive is fine.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Just a quick note on the WD Passport external drives.

Never, every buy those little *********s. :mad:

WD has taken the idiotic step of using a non-standard SATA connector inside the drive. If you want to pull the drive from the casing in order to hook it up to the computer directly via a SATA cable and bypass the case's internal electronics...well... you can't.

Discovered this last month, trying to help out a friend. DUMB design.

[ame]https://youtu.be/2GGTQF6oE3E?t=338[/ame]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, great. I was happy with the Ultra and recently bought a 2Tb model to act as the backup for my photo archive. Guess I better start looking for a new drive right away.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
My most used, and most useful external device is the NewerTech Voyager Q.

I just buy bare HDD's when they're on sale and pop them in the Voyager as needed.
It might not be ideal for new Macs (no Thunderbolt), but for my Mac Pro 5,1 it's been an ideal solution.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts

WD has taken the idiotic step of using a non-standard SATA connector inside the drive. If you want to pull the drive from the casing in order to hook it up to the computer directly via a SATA cable and bypass the case's internal electronics...well... you can't.

https://youtu.be/2GGTQF6oE3E?t=338
If accurate, that is disappointing, as more often than not it is the enclosure that has failed. Ideally you should be able to pop the drive and put it into a functioning enclosure.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
My most used, and most useful external device is the NewerTech Voyager Q.

+1. Ditto and agree.

PS: Wow, their price has sure come down from what my old generation one cost. Nice!! ;D

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
:confused: You doubt me? :-(

MacrosAug '12
What the OP means is that the Passport HDD that is contained in the enclosure cannot be taken out and connected to another PC or SATA enclosure because it has been hard modified with a micro USB connection and circuit board which cannot be removed off the drive. So basically if like mine the USB connection malfunctions, you’re stuffed as you cannot use the drive with any other device and all data on it is lost…
https://community.wd.com/t/proprietary-non-standard-usb-interface-on-my-passport/9468/6

How to avoid buying external HDD containing non-standard internal disk (no SATA)?
How to avoid buying external HDD containing non-standard internal disk (no SATA)? - [Solved] - Storage

PS: Thanks for the heads-up warning!!! 😳

And so much for "Standards" I guess. :ptptptptp

PPS: It looks like one can use a "standard" USB cable with those drives:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq14YGockYQ[/ame]

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have taken to buying the SeagateBackup Plus 5TB Portable Externals. Do they have the same problem as WD's?

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
:confused: You doubt me? :-(
Not intended as a personal affront, more a statement that I had not taken the time to independently verify it.

That said, my approach of buying drive and enclosure separately remains the same. This merely confirms the sanity of my reasoning.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Simply search the net for a teardown of the model you want to buy.

The drives you don't want are the ones with the Sata controller board and drive controller board integrated in 1 piece,
meaning: no standard Sata plugs, just an
USB connector.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts

https://youtu.be/2GGTQF6oE3E?t=338
Yeah - anything to save a buck.

I found that little tidbit about these WD drives on the RFD site quite a while back.
Luckily I haven't bought any of those types although I used to buy mostly WD drives in the past.

As a side note - in all my years with a Mac I only had two external drives fail on me.
Turned out in both cases to be the bridge not the drive itself.
I popped the drive into a new enclosure and everything worked perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts