Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Thanks for the links, at least they are offering firmware to make it mac compatible but not for those that are not tech savvy..
I wonder who is to blame for having such complicated steps to make it mac savvy, WD or Apple?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder who is to blame for having such complicated steps to make it mac savvy, WD or Apple?
In late 90s, very early 2000s, I might have said Apple - just being counter grain, and forcing h/w manufacturers to bend for little return or reward. Mac users all seen as outliers at the time. In 2015? C'mon now. WD can't make this install smoother? And the jumps through hoops some had to go through pre firmware was even crazier.

I'm actually a little disappointed with this right now. Would have been a much more popular drive w/o all this hop scotch. Almost better off getting 1/2 the volume in SSD for the same price.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
In late 90s, very early 2000s, I might have said Apple - just being counter grain, and forcing h/w manufacturers to bend for little return or reward. Mac users all seen as outliers at the time. In 2015? C'mon now. WD can't make this install smoother? And the jumps through hoops some had to go through pre firmware was even crazier.

I'm actually a little disappointed with this right now. Would have been a much more popular drive w/o all this hop scotch. Almost better off getting 1/2 the volume in SSD for the same price.
Only because SATA spec does not allow using 2 drives in 1 SATA port. So a work around must be done. If it was a true hybrid drive, then it would not have been an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

i miss the days of jumpers ;)

I use WD RE drives - as they are the best in the industry hands down, but I still have to use jumpers to set drive speed, something I can live with..
Seagate is auto negotiate but the failure rate is much much higher than WD Enterprise drives.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
i miss the days of jumpers ;)

I use WD RE drives - as they are the best in the industry hands down, but I still have to use jumpers to set drive speed, something I can live with..
… ...

Hey…better watch out md what you say about having to use jumpers with some HDDs, as there are some members here that will tell you you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about — if similar history is to repeat itself!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Hey…better watch out md what you say about having to use jumpers with some HDDs, as there are some members here that will tell you you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about — if similar history is to repeat itself!! :D
Western Digital drives don't auto negotiate with some systems.. the WD RE drives I have to use jumpers to slow them down from 3G to 1.5G SATA - for use in xServes, as they won't show up otherwise. That is the price to pay for stability.

Yes, eh mac is full of name callers, I can only offer advise by my experiences; no more than that. so as they say sticks and stones may break my bones.. but names will never hurt me :)

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
You idiot. lol kidding.

Some hard drives indeed have a jumper to make it run at 1.5gbps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts