Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when this dream of a HD came out, it was priced at this jaw dropping $300+ : for a 120G SSD w/ 1TB data drive, all in one. But I didn't think it would fly as I thought it was grossly overpriced - and so did most tech blogs.

FFWD some months now, and I just saw it @ $179. Fair deal. So I poke around to see what Mac users have been saying about it. Oh - not Mac OS compatible. Well, not out the gate. You need a Windows to format it, and then you can possibly drop MacOS on afterwards.

what a pain.

This has the early 2000s feel when nothing was being developed for Mac OS. Big companies still do that?? Surprising, esp coming from WD. I guess I would have to BUY windows OS just to install on this bad boy, JUST to erase it afterwards to drop it into a Mac. womp womp.

Just bought a 1TB Seagate HSSD for $99. Likely the last little bit of $ I drop into my antiquated unit before I get an MBA later this yr. But I would have stepped up to the WD Black2 had it not been for this nonsense!

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
The SATA port does not natively support more than 1 drive per port. This WD black is basically 2 drives in one, so they have to make a driver in order for the computer to detect both drives. It's a drive that does not work natively with anything else than windows. I would stay far away from that drive.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I almost got one too; but I wasn't sure if it was two drives that needed to be put in a RAID or something; so I just opted to by a 750GB WD Black for about $65. Saved $100 and a bit of a headache!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts