Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who may have missed it…

‘A cellphone taped to someone’s wrist:’ Woman looking at Apple Watch found guilty of distracted driving | National Post

A driver looking at an Apple Watch while stopped at a traffic light is still guilty of breaking Ontario’s distracted driving law, despite the trendy device’s new technology and her claim she was only checking the time.

Even with its miniaturization and trendy technology, an Apple Watch is no safer “than a cellphone taped to someone’s wrist,” said a justice of the peace, while convicting a Guelph woman this month of holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device while driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I feel that's a huge stretch. If the device isn't being interacted with, it's no different than a cellphone mounted to the dashboard.

Granted, we don't know if her claim that she was just checking the time is legit.

·
Registered
807 Posts
There is a lot of glowing grey area in that story :)

Victoria Ambrose was stopped at a red light on South Ring Road in Guelph in April when a University of Guelph police officer, beside her in his cruiser, noticed the glow of an electronic device. The officer testified he saw her looking up and down about four times, court heard.

When the light turned green, two cars in front of Ambrose promptly moved forward but she remained stationary until the cop shone a light into her car and she began to drive, court heard.
I don't think you are even supposed to interact with a cellphone mounted on a dashboard... if your touching anything electronic that's not a permanent fixture of the car they can give you a ticket.

A friend of mine got a ticket (but no points) a couple of years ago when he was using his cell phone (work conference call on his way home) on speaker phone in the car. It fell/slid off his passenger seat when he came to a stop at the stop light. He reached over, picked it up off the floor (while stopped) right as an office pulled up on a bike and saw him holding his phone.. office said because he was touching it he had to get the ticket.. even with it being on speaker phone. Had he left it on the floor there wouldn't have been an issue he was told.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think you are even supposed to interact with a cellphone mounted on a dashboard... if your touching anything electronic that's not a permanent fixture of the car they can give you a ticket.

I believe, at least in BC, you can interact with a cellphone using voice either directly and hands-free or using a one earpiece earpod and mic. Motorcyclists can use a two earpod device.

But it's illegal to actually touch the cellphone when driving and talking that seems to be the critical part. And even when not driving and stopped, one has to be well off the main road, and sometimes being stopped and parked on the side of the road may not be enough to escape a ticket it seems.

Lots of muddy water involved it seems.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
as long as I can apply make up, drink a hot boiling coffee with a big mac while i drive in bumper to bumper traffic all is good in the world lol

·
Registered
807 Posts
as long as I can apply make up, drink a hot boiling coffee with a big mac while i drive in bumper to bumper traffic all is good in the world lol
LOL... a friend in college professed to his ability to enjoy a full Big Mac Meal (including beverage and dipping fries in ketchup) while driving a stick QEW traffic and never spilling anything.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
lol... A friend in college professed to his ability to enjoy a full big mac meal (including beverage and dipping fries in ketchup) while driving a stick qew traffic and never spilling anything.

Breligion
lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts