Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ROME — Italy declared a state of emergency in northern and central regions yesterday due to fears of drought coming after unusually warm and dry weather.

Farmers have been fretting as Italy's largest river, the Po, has dried up in recent months. The river, running west to east across northern Italy, feeds the broad Po valley, which accounts for about a third of the country's agricultural output.
Italy's hottest winter in 200 years meant snowfall was light in the Alps, with little snowmelt to swell the Po. Then a hot, dry spring set in, with temperatures in April approaching levels usually seen in June.
globeandmail.com: Warm winter causes Italian rivers to run dry

Looks like it has started raining but without a snowpack to melt you have to wonder what good it will do. This is also hindering their electrical generation.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
"Global Drying." Not in this part of Canada. Cold and wet are the effects of global warming here in the most easterly part of Canada. Still, the only upside is not fear of drought this summer.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
The most conservative estimates of total world precipitation under global warming scenaria show a slight increase in overall precipitation, with little change in regional distribution.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Macfury, in the past 7 winters, St.John's has experienced record snowfalls, ranging from an average snowfall of 13 feet for only one of these seven winters, with snowfalls of 21, 15, 19, 18, 17, 18 for the other six winters. Rainfall is above average, since we are getting more rain in March, April, May and early June each year. From what I have read by reputable scientists, this change is due to the shifting of the Gulf Stream and Labrador Currents due to a change in the ocean temps in the North Atlantic and the increase in fresh water due to the rapid melting of the Greenland Glacier fields.

For some strange reason, we are now getting better (i.e., warmer, sunnier, dryer) weather in late Sept. to early Nov. than we are getting in May and June.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
I remember my parents talking about the hot summers in the 1950s and howw people used to blame the Russians for it! Even in the early 1980s I recall reading articles where scientists had warned that the relative stability of the period from about 1955 to 1980 was nothing we could count on continuing. Weather doesn't care what we're used to.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The most conservative estimates of total world precipitation under global warming scenaria show a slight increase in overall precipitation, with little change in regional distribution.
What a total unsupported crock that is.
Off course there is more water in the atmosphere, it's warmer - because it's warmer moisture is pulled from already dry areas more rapidly...

Precipitation patterns have already altered and one of the side effects is increased severe precipitation events along with drying.
This is just one

How Will Climate Change Affect India's Monsoon Season?
Science Daily — Scientists at the University of Liverpool are investigating the anticipated effects of climate change on India's monsoon season and the impact that alterations in India's water cycle will have on the country's people, agriculture and wildlife.

Changes to India's annual monsoon are expected to result in severe droughts and intense flooding in parts of India. Scientists predict that by the end of the century the country will experience a 3 to 5C temperature increase and a 20% rise in all summer monsoon rainfall.
Drought AND severe flooding are already a consequence of anthropogenic activities.

Mumbai already has seen one catastrophic rainfall 934 mm in 24 hours....a metre of rain - 3 times more than a heavy monsoon downpour.

Sky islands in the western part of the US that have been there for over 10,000 years are declining rapidly.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040501180.html

Wet gets wetter - dry gets worse and the swings get larger and more frequent.

Latin America is particularly hard hit.
Increased rainfall in southeast Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, the Argentinean Pampas and some parts of Bolivia has impacts on land use, crop yields and has increased flood frequency and intensity.

On the other hand, a declining trend in precipitation has been observed in southern Chile, southwest Argentina, southern Peru, and western Central America.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070410135944.htm

Southern Europe is considered a hot spot for climate change ..the Po is very vulnerable....and very vital.

Greater frequency of greater extremes.....get used to it ......it's not a projection.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
MacDoc: I've accepted the variability of weather paterns long before you have apparently. It's only a shock to the likes of you, I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Even the most cursory glance at the IPCC's Working Group II "Summary for Policymakers" paper will show this to be incorrect. Particularly pages 9-10 with a particular slap at the contention there will be little change in regional distribution on pg. 10, para.11.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Obviously most folks here know little about weather history. My dad and grandfather used to tell me what it was like to farm in the 1930's.

A whole decade of drought.

The 1930's were very hot and dry to be followed by wet and below normal temps in the 1940's.

In all of my 55 years I have heard of fantastic floods, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, volcanic eruptions, locust plagues. Up until recently it was called population control.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
IronMac: I'm referring to Greenpeace's document. But pick whichever one you like. No quarrel from me!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Obviously most folks here know little about weather history. My dad and grandfather used to tell me what it was like to farm in the 1930's.

A whole decade of drought.

The 1930's were very hot and dry to be followed by wet and below normal temps in the 1940's.

In all of my 55 years I have heard of fantastic floods, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, volcanic eruptions, locust plagues. Up until recently it was called population control.
It still is Marg, only now the brightest minds are so engrossed with their spreading of fear and propaganda, they have forgotten events like the dirty thirties.

Odd how only the so-called brightest minds can be so gullible, non?

Regular folks know it is all cyclical, and they alone are bright enough to know we cannot control the weather. ;)

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
It still is Marg, only now the brightest minds are so engrossed with their spreading of fear and propaganda, they have forgotten events like the dirty thirties.

Odd how only the so-called brightest minds can be so gullible, non?

Regular folks know it is all cyclical, and they alone are bright enough to know we cannot control the weather. ;)
1. it's climate not weather
2. we don't control it, we affect it

i see you and your supporters use the same logic about climate change as those that defended and promoted cigarette smoking

i, for one, don't want to wait until the earth gets a heart attack before doing something

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
MS likes to compare everything to my heart attack thinking I will react. For the record, neither climate, nor weather caused my heart attack. And since an area's climate is simply a difference in its weather from another area, how do you see the two terms as being different? There are variations of the same thing - "weather", and we can control neither.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
SINC: I think the idea that humans can control weather or climate is the ultimate in ego trips. King Canute dressed in the humble raiments of the lowly green ecologist.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
MS likes to compare everything to my heart attack thinking I will react. For the record, neither climate, nor weather caused my heart attack.
Was it not partially due to smoking?
The same smoking that is safe for you (so says most of the lobbyist you quote that are climate change deniers).....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Was it not partially due to smoking?
The same smoking that is safe for you (so says most of the lobbyist you quote that are climate change deniers).....
Yes AS, I was a smoker, but I suspect genetics had a lot more to do with it on my maternal side. My Mother and her every brother died young of heart failure, one at age 34.

An x-ray of my lungs after my heart attack showed them to be so clear that my cardiologist assumed I was not a smoker. Go figure.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
If that were so, you'd still be a smoker...
Since you've said that you prefer to believe science-hostile charlatans over credible research because somehow it "jives" with your mindset, I wonder why you aren't smoking...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts