Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a hack to allow more than one line of bookmarks in Safari??

I use about 30 sites all the time and I keep re-arranging trying to find a good mix as only about 15 fit even with severe shortforming unless the bar is across the entire screen.

IE lets you use a vertical bar as well in the "Favorites" but I can't see how to do the same in Safari.
I'd love to use the vertical left edge for bookmarks.

Solutions?? :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding your post, but I have several folders in my BM bar that allows me to catagorize my favorites (Software, Design, Entertainment, Reference, Film, etc.) which are in turn have sub-catagorized folders for whatever sites that pertain to that particular subject.

Would this not yield similar results? Or at least help reduce the clutter?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need them visible all the time - I CAN click hold down on the right to see the whole list but that action is a killer on the neck muscles and my RSI is bad enough as it is.

If you look at IE and click on the favorites tab on the left you see it slide out with tons of room for urls and it stays in place. So you can have both the top bar and the fav vertical list visible at once.

I think the Safari designers figure teh click hold on the right of Safari for the overflow off theend of the bar would work but click hold then scrolling down is a killer action especially when there are 40 or 50 urls. :(

I need to be able to throw the mouses directly to the url -picky picky but hey 18 hours a day

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yes, but why not use folders in your bookmarks bar?

<div align="center">

</div>

The ones with little down arrows beside them are folder, click them once and a drop down menu full of bookmarks appears.

<div align="center">

</div>

You can have auto tabbing bookmark folders too, where you click it once and all the bookmarks in the folder and opened in separate tabs in the same window.

I have 47 bookmarks in my bookmarks bar, in the space where 12 single bookmarks would normally be.

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
MacDoc - okay - thanks for clarifying.

I found this at Mac OS X Hints, which kinda almost maybe sounds like what you're talking about. Read to the end, it applies to 10.2.4 and up, including Panther (when you download the ReadME, FYI, the entries are in reverse-chronological order).

Safari Scrapbook

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No - thanks - I need a patch that adds a second bar of book marks.

I know there are a few for the finder so I might have to got that route or just live with it.
It's the only thing I miss about.
Maybe something like drag thing will work stuck opposite the dock.

Hm perhaps I just use IE as well. DP G5 gotta do some work :D Might keep Safari from bogging. I see there is a Safari bookmark export so that's cool now.

Hey that worked like a charm. I can keep IE on the left for vertical access and Safari for the main stuff.

Drunkards walk to get there but it's not a bad solution. :D

Even better I can lose the top bar on IE for more web site space and just use the tab out PLUS I can float a separate favs window elsewhere. One time floating windows are useful. Normally I hate that.

Happy again :D ....yeah yeah small things etc....... :cool:

[ January 27, 2004, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: MacDoc ]

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you know it's about right 21" Trin and 17" Studio Display and the new setup vertical resides on the second screen and yes I have a swivel ObusForm - not a bad call ;) :D

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
You can drag a whole folder of bookmarks to the Safari
Bookmarks bar, Except it doesn't behave like a drop down
when you roll your mouse over it.

It's as close to what you want in a solution though.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Yeah, MacDoc, if we're reading you right, just open your Bookmarks editing window, create a folder, and then create sub-folders within it. They'll be drop-down menus:

(i.e., the topmost entry "cuba-related" drops down to reveal its contents).

Is that what you mean?

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Visible..not drop down.... I don't want second level drop down- the IE setup is fine with slide out tab that can stay in place - the Safari setup as it is does not work for me.

I have no interest in second level menus or I would not have asked.

Left and top both visible without drop down each time.
Safari overflows to the right but you have to click hold then scroll down to get to it - = pain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts