Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
I want a new mac computer system for home use. I would like a large flat screen. Lots of Ram and harddrive space. Fast! Built in dvd player and burner. Built in cd burner. I need a coloured printer that is reliable and a scanner that is simple to use and dependable. I will be using high speed internet with it and I don't want to have to buy another computer system for at least 5 years. I also need a digital camera that can be easily attached to it. Help!
Do I buy from macdoc or First Ave. in Waterloo

·
Registered
141 Posts
While I've never bought from First Ave in Waterloo, I have bought from Macdoc on more then one occasion and have nothing but good things to say about both the system I got, and any aftercare its needed since then. :D

Don't know if that helps or not, but it's my 2 cents anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I puchased a PowerMac 7200/120PC (plus accessories) and my Bondi Blue iMac from First Ave. They'll treat you right after the sale as well. They installed my VooDoo2 Game Wizard video card in my iMac even though I didn't buy the card from them directly.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've been dealing with First Avenue for almost a year now, and I've nothing but good things to say about them. When I "switched", they helped me understand what my hardware options were and what the advantages and disadvantages of each. Not to mention the fact that they usually have a wide assortment of current Mac hardware on display that you can try out (or play with).

I know when I buy my next Mac, it'll be from First Avenue :D

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I have bought computer and peripherals (sp) from 1st ave since 1996 and have had not one problem. Service is excellent and the showroom rocks. That and the fact I hate going into the GTA smogbelt make it worth going to 1st ave.
Robert

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello,

My experiences with First Ave have always been good. They're quite friendly there, and have treated my family well since '94.

But. I hate to do this to the main showroom manager there, but if you're looking for forwards compatablility, and not buying another Mac for 5 years, then perhaps you should wait? I hope I'm not out of line in this, and everyone else should weigh in, especially when dealing with rumours: there is a growing buzz surrounding the World Wide Developers Conference in June. Apple is expected (by many) to introduce a whole new architecture for PowerMacs, based on a new type of processor. I don't think it will be obscenely faster than the current Macs, however, so you should go in to First Ave, play around with the Macs there, and if they're plenty fast for you, then waiting may not be the best idea.

I don't know. I just thought I'd let you know, knowledge is power, etc etc.

In any case, I'd grab my loot from First Ave if I were you.

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'd say that unless you're buying a PowerMac, now is probably a safe time to buy a new machine. If Apple announces a new machine based on a new CPU in June at WWDC, it's going to take some time before those machines actually ship, and when they do they're not going to be cheap.

Also, these new chips aren't going to appear in all of Apple's computers overnight (I'd imagine G4-based systems will be around for a while still) so you should still be able to buy new software for your system.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
jfpoole
It's the fact that the new cpus will have 64 bit capability
Its not that they wont be making G4 apps, its going to be at least 4 or 5 years before 64 bit apps are really in the majority, and by then the current crop of hardware will be old anyway. So your advice is good because one just cannot plan for 5 years in the future, noone knows what will be. Five years ago 233mhz was super speed, now it cant run the latest video demands., but it can still be productive.
Still, the majority of rumors say that an update is coming soon , likely at the end of june or July for new Powermacs. Whether they will be 1.6ghz g4s or 1.8ghz ppc970, we cant be sure til it happens.
The other cuncern is that in a first generation of new powermacs with totally new prccesors and motherboards, cases etc, there may be issues that will be improved 6 months later.
In my opinion if they update the Powermacs in june or july and the current mid 1,25 dual is lowered in price, I would get that and max out the ram.
Companies are still porting to OSX, reworking again to a 64 bit OS would be too much right now,
I think the next 4 years will obviously see all kinds of changes that no one saw coming, current hardware will be obsoleted, thats the way it goes.
If you find that a current system makes you happy, then wait aabout 5 weeks and it will be discounted, maybe substantially, and the bugs have been mostly worked out on the current macs.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 1.25 gig G4 is probably your best bet, IMHO. Expandable, not as expensive as the Kill of the Hill Mac, rock solid performance.

Why wait for the "next best thing" to come along? The "next best thing' is always just 3 months away. Buy now unless $$ is an issue.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
If your going to buy a new PowerMac and can wait another 2-3 months, I would. The PowerMac line is due for a refresh sometime in July or August - the line was updated last end of January. I still have a nagging doubt that the PowerMacs will be updated end of June, but it could happen. Even if you don't pick up one of the new generation of PowerMacs, you should be able to get a deal on the old generation.

By the way, you didn't say what your budget is. A PowerMac will be able to last you 5 years due to the expandibility (you can upgrade the video card, HD, RAM, etc.), but it is pricey. If your on a budget, it may be a bit more than you can afford. They do have speed, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts