Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what Quicken plans for the Macintosh? I've noticed two facts that worry me:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>In the US, Quicken 2003 is sold, but in Canada we only have Quicken 2002.
<LI>Quicken pushes XG, which is a subscription-based product (I hate paying rent for software/I]), but the program only has a Micro$oft Windoz version.
[/list]

Any info about solutions for us Canadian Macintosh users? (I like Quicken, but I like my Mac more.)

Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
778 Posts
yes, this is a real pickle indeed for the mac community in Canada. Without a version of some form of accounting software, we can pretty much guarantee that macs for businesses will not purchased when it comes integrating them in and moving windows boxes out..

I would like to see MYOB and Quckbooks Pro running for Mac OS X in Canada, but the reality is that it will probably never come to market.

Its a shame the way these companies snub out the macintosh market especially when we are so loyal to our platform and will do almost anything to keep it going!

I can't imagine trying to sell a Mac OS X solution into an accounting department for use.

Accountant" Can we run our accounting software on Mac OS X?"

me "Yes you can, you can run Quickbooks Pro emulated in Virtual PC"

Accountant" I think we will just buy more PC's instead"

It's a total shame that we Canadians get snuubed in the foot more often than not for buying our platform of choice in a free society. Apparently it's a free country, but only if we use Windows based PC's.

I have been trying to get a number or email contact for Intuit for their PR, but they just have one phone number on their website and its a pay for call for tech support. A total shame!

It's too bad people from Intuit do not read these boards to see how many of us would like to have the application ported over to Mac OS X!

What would be really nice is if Apple Canada themselves put some pressure on Intuit to port its application over to Mac OS X and offer the product via the Apple Store Canada Web Site. How can they market a switch campaign if the most basic of needs for the business community is not available? These are the tools that businesses use (small, medium, and large) to survive and keep track of everything!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
dthompson101 wrote:
Apparently it's a free country, but only if we use Windows based PC's.

It is a free country, and Intuit is free to choose whether or not to release software for the Mac in Canada.

I'd imagine that there's a business reason behind this (i.e., the number of Canadians who own Mac and who will buy Intuit software is low enough that the cost of porting the Canadian software is more than the income they'll make off of it), and they're not just doing it out of spite.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
As per the article from a Chartered Accountant that slammed Apple a while ago, I stated; "What do you expect? He's an accountant."

Don't expect any real serious long term support for the Mac for accounting software.

1. get soft pc and windows for your mac.
2. get a cheap pc to run your accounting.

I have yet to meet an accountant that likes the Mac platform. Then again, I have yet to meet an interesting, fun loving, "think outside the box" accountant. So I figure in the grand scheme of things it's a little "tit for tat."

unfortunately that is life

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
From my accounting firm, who were instrumental in the development of MYOB in Canada;

Connected

I only hope enough interest in this app is raised to make it viable for us "little" businesses.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
What I don't understand is why there is even an issue? If I were designing software, all of the code would be the same and I would just have data files with US data and Canadian data. The data would work in Mac and Windows versions. Therefore, all you would need to do is pick the proper execuatble program (MacOS or Windows) and then pick the data file for your country (US or Canada or other).

But alas, that would make too much sense.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
hayesk wrote:
What I don't understand is why there is even an issue? If I were designing software, all of the code would be the same and I would just have data files with US data and Canadian data.

Who knows how Quicken works? There might be more of a difference between the Canadian and American versions than some data files. I wouldn't be surprised if there was different code in the Canadian and American versions (just to deal with the differences in Canadian and American law, taxes, etc).

Of course, there are other costs associated with developing and releasing software (such as testing) so who knows?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Mississauga,

I would suggest to you and your firm that you get a list of every graphic design firm in Canada you can and mail them a one pager about your Mac accounting sfw.

Push the Mac aspect as I believe most of these firms would gladly use a Mac version of accounting sfw.

Also, if you haven't already, set up a meeting with Apple Canada and see if they can showcase your product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies, its an interesting thread.

But I'm looking for info about Quicken (personnal finance), not Quickbook (accounting).

Any info about the future of Quicken for Macintosh?

·
Registered
778 Posts
When I worked for Imaginex in Mississauga they used connected.....nothing but trouble. They had 3 offices (1 in Missisauga, one in Toronto, and one in Winnipeg) Connected ONLY runs within a local LAN and does not do anything across the internet, through firewalls and routers, as connected does not use a client and pull up the data in bits and pieces as it needs it, it pulls it up in whole form.

That being said, if your companys data files turn out to be 1GB in size, your workstation is opening the company file 1 GB at a time across the network, whereas in FMPro and other "networkable" apps, the client pulls up bits and pieces as it needs it and not the whole data file at once. While in a 100mb LAN, that 1 GB file takes no time at all, across the internet, it provided us with nothing but trouble.

At the end of the day after we had to get the damaged data files sent to an analyst of some sort in Seattle to rebuild them, we were finally told by accountek in Concord that we had to purchase an application that recorded keystrokes called citrix. While this would work for almost any program on any platform, the costs far outweigh the needs, especially for small business (starts at 10,000 U.S.)

Also, why should I be forced to purchase a computer that I don't need? While the data files may have to be rewritten for Canada, the application itself would pretty much be the same for input tables and the like.

Think of FM Pro, you can take that file and move it between mac and pc without any trouble of it opening when you need it to. Why can quickbooks and INTUIT not make something to work that way? Why should I be forced to purchase a PC? I have a 5000 dollar laptop, don't tell me I have to purchase a crappy 1000.00 celeron PC just to run 1 application. That to me and I am sure many other people is not fair!

I know many graphics houses that do not have "accountants" but have jsut the owner or someone else who looks after the books. I am sure they would love to be able to do everything from one computer,

Done ranting....for now....

Sorry about getting way off topic here as to the original posting....my bad.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
macspectrum,

Sorry. My post was incorrectly worded. I meant to imply my accountant's firm, not mine. But I'm going to be testing the software very soon and will post my findings.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
FYI: Quicken will be releasing a Mac version of QuickBooks for Mac next month selling for around $550 Cdn. :eek: Will have payroll. 100%. Also of note, QuickTax has been delayed for Mac and will be out mid-february. Also has jumped in price to over $50 :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks ehMax.

Thats great to know that there is a version of at least one of their products coming out and running on Mac OS X. This is a very nice piece of information. Maybe if there is enough interest in the smaller version, they will release the pro version for Mac OS X! That would be wonderful.

Thanks again for that little tidbit. Just made my sunday morning much better

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been using Quicktax for a few years, and find it fantastic for doing my family's tax returns. In spite of Intuit charging more for the mac version, I will buy it again this year. It has helped me to reduce/optimize my taxes and it is easy to use.

For several years I have been using Quicken to do my club's books. There are not a lot of transactions, we don't need heavy duty accounting software, and it suits this purpose perfectly. I can put in the transactions every month then print out the monthly Income Statement, Transaction Detail, Year-to-Date Income Statement, and a Balance Sheet. All of this is a piece of cake.

As well, I can easily produce reports for our special projects. It provides for multiple accounts,automatic data entry, and has lots of nice user-friendly features. Not bad for a under $60 program (for Quicken 2000 which I use). And it has never crashed!

Johnny.

·
Registered
112 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ehMax:
FYI: Quicken will be releasing a Mac version of QuickBooks for Mac next month selling for around $550 Cdn. :eek: Will have payroll. 100%. Also of note, QuickTax has been delayed for Mac and will be out mid-february. Also has jumped in price to over $50 :eek: :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beta'd it and already have the release copy ... garbage ... and the payroll is for US only ...

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd imagine that there's a business reason behind this (i.e., the number of Canadians who own Mac and who will buy Intuit software is low enough that the cost of porting the Canadian software is more than the income they'll make off of it), and they're not just doing it out of spite. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its more so that they're run by morons. They sold a version of QuickBooks for Mac that was 2 or 3 versions out of date and wondered why it never sold.

MYOB for Mac in Canada sold very well. There are several consultants in Kitchener area scratching they're head... they had a lot of business on the Mac.

Intuit is a poorly run company that treats its Mac customers like sh!t and expects them to be thankful when they release a [email protected] product.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts