Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never fails to amuse me when I read posts about how much faster PCs are than Macs. And especially posts by Mac users, most of the whiners would really benefit from taking a crash course in processor design and chip architecture, but hey everybody's free to bitch if they want. If the Intel boxes are so much faster, then go get one, have fun.

Buy two you'll need a spare when you are redoing the other one.

Every Monday night I go to a buddies place and play Unreal Tournament. There are six of us and I'm the only one on a Mac. A 933mhz/1gig with an 64mb iNvida card, these guys are all using P4 1.7ghz and up machines. They are always complaining how they are getting hit with lag, how the display still chatters, and when they blow someones head off the blood cloud makes there Windoz boxes chug. I just laugh and smoke their asses with a 5 rocket burst as they stand there trying to get through the haze.

PC's, bring it on crap artists. I won't even address the AMD idiots.... :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is Saturday night....

I really love walking into LAN parties with the G4, people just kind of look at you like, "is that going to even work?" Morons find out pretty fast why Mhz don't mean sh*t.

Maybe I'll take the IIsi next time...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"I really love walking into LAN parties with the G4, people just kind of look at you like, "is that going to even work?" Morons find out pretty fast why Mhz don't mean sh*t."

I guess they don't. You must kick a lot of butt with your G4 in UT2K3 and Battlefield 1942.

Oh, wait....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was that a shot..?? :rolleyes:

Of course that is the one unfortunate part of the whole Mac thing, you sometimes wait for the new ones. Oh well gives the other kiddies time to try and figure out how tweak those poor little MX cards for that extra 3fps, like it'll help.

Actually we played UT2K3, for about a week, everyone complained that players blended into the landscapes to much and it was really hard to play, maybe a little but I didn't think it was to bad.

I have a PC I built for games because as good as the G4 is, well there are those times...

If it's any consolation it's housed in a G3 B&W case, lots of choppin' but easy to carry around.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"Was that a shot..??"

Just a wee one :D

"Of course that is the one unfortunate part of the whole Mac thing, you sometimes wait for the new ones."

Sometimes they don't come out at all, either (Half-Life being a notable example). *sigh*

"Actually we played UT2K3, for about a week, everyone complained that players blended into the landscapes to much and it was really hard to play, maybe a little but I didn't think it was to bad."

I've spent some time with UT2K3 and it's lots of fun. I prefer the graphics over UT, but that shouldn't be too surprising, and I didn't find it any more difficult than UT.

Then again, I'm weird :D

"I have a PC I built for games because as good as the G4 is, well there are those times..."

I've got a PC for the same reason; it's far more powerful when it comes to gaming and the game selection is much better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think UT2K3 is a great game, I didn't really find the whole blending thing an issue, crappy monitors I guess. And yes the graphics are just so much better.

I really can't wait to see Doom III, and if what they say is true, the G4 won't have to wait for it to be released. Of course from what I hear the 933 may not be quite up to the task. :rolleyes:

After having played games with a PC for years and then having used the G4, I really prefer the G4. There is something about it that feels lighter. My P4 B&W is nice, I like it, and if I want to do the half-life thing there is no choice, but it still feels a little heavy. Although I just bought a 9700 Ati card for it, so maybe that'll 'lighten' it up. :cool:

The whole Half-life thing has been a p**s off for ever, Valve weirdos.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"I really can't wait to see Doom III, and if what they say is true, the G4 won't have to wait for it to be released. Of course from what I hear the 933 may not be quite up to the task."

Indeed. id Software is remarkably cool about releasing their games on an insane number of platforms.

"After having played games with a PC for years and then having used the G4, I really prefer the G4. There is something about it that feels lighter. My P4 B&W is nice, I like it, and if I want to do the half-life thing there is no choice, but it still feels a little heavy."

Really? I find gaming much more enjoyable on my PC, if for no other reason than I get better performance on it (P4 2.26GHz with a GeForce 4 Ti compared to a G4 667MHz and a Radeon 7500).

"The whole Half-life thing has been a p**s off for ever, Valve weirdos."

I don't know; I read Gabe Newell's comments on the Half-Life Mac port, and it sounds like the single-player port was done, but there were a lot of issues still surrounding multi-player. Newell felt that the resources spent fixing these issues wouldn't be recouped in sales, and that it was better to release no port at all rather than a half-baked port. Pity, really, but I understand. Besides, Valve's been incredibly cool about most other things, so I think they're allowed to seem arbitrary every one in a while.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I know, but I still think the G4 feels nicer. Not to bash anyone's Mac, but the 7500 Radeon is not a strong card for games, nice little card, but it works pretty hard on games, so it was probably workin up quite a sweat. That was the first card I put in the G3 P4 machine, then I changed it for an MX 420. Now the 9700 Pro card is just insane. Expensive, but worth it, I hope. I know that I'm going to end up playing DIII on the PC machine, I just don't think 933Mhz is enough, even if it is in a nice silver side opening case with a ton of ram in it.

I can understand why Valve didn't want to get deep into the whole porting thing, I mean that engine is getting a little old now, so hopefully they'll be pumping something new and cool out soon, because HL was a very cool game, no doubt about it. The Barnies were the best. :cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"Not to bash anyone's Mac, but the 7500 Radeon is not a strong card for games, nice little card, but it works pretty hard on games, so it was probably workin up quite a sweat."

Oh, indeed. For a notebook, though, it's a pretty sweet video card.

"I know that I'm going to end up playing DIII on the PC machine, I just don't think 933Mhz is enough, even if it is in a nice silver side opening case with a ton of ram in it."

Which nVidia card do you have in the G4? GeForce 4 Ti or GeForce 4 Mx?

"I can understand why Valve didn't want to get deep into the whole porting thing, I mean that engine is getting a little old now, so hopefully they'll be pumping something new and cool out soon, because HL was a very cool game, no doubt about it."

Ah, but Valve dropped the Mac port back in late 1999, when the Half-Life engine wasn't so old :D As for what Valve's doing next, I think Team Fortress 2 made Wired's Vaporware list this year (as it did last year).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Okay, sorry about that, yeah in a laptop that is pretty good, that was supposed to be a good chipset for the mobile market.

Its' the GForce MX 64Mb Card in the G4, soon to be replaced with a 9000.

Yeah I forgot that you said that about dropping the port.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"Oh Okay, sorry about that"

Don't worry about it

"Its' the GForce MX 64Mb Card in the G4, soon to be replaced with a 9000."

Hrm. If you read John Carmack's .plan file, he's not got a lot of nice things to say about the GeForce 4 MX, since it's basically a GeForce 2 MX with a couple of extra features (vertex shaders being the only big one I can recall). When I first got my P4, it had a GeForce 4 MX 420, and after running some benchmarks, I found that it wasn't much faster than my old GeForce 2 MX.

*sigh*

As for the ATI Radeon 9000, from what I've read you're almost better off going with an ATI Radeon 8500; apparently the 9000 is slower than the GeForce 3 cards. Of course, I've no idea what cards are available for the Mac, so your options might be a bit limited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the whole video cards thing is a bit of a game with Macs, I mean with PC's you pick a card, install it, and away you go. With the Mac it seems to be a bit of a pain. ATI just can't seem to get it together when it comes to video cards for gaming on Macs.

So the 9000 is slower eh, well I'll have to dig a bit more than I have on this, I assumed the 9000 Pro was the Mac version of the 9700 Pro for PC's, which is just insane it's so fast.

Maybe I'll hang on and see what nVidia is up to....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"So the 9000 is slower eh, well I'll have to dig a bit more than I have on this, I assumed the 9000 Pro was the Mac version of the 9700 Pro for PC's, which is just insane it's so fast."

No, the 9000 is available for both the PC and the Mac, and I thought the 9700 was available for both as well. I think the 9700 is to the 9000 what the GeForce 4 Ti is to the GeForce 4 MX.

"Maybe I'll hang on and see what nVidia is up to...."

The GeForce 4 Ti cards (at least on the PC) are sweet, and will probably do you well for at least the next couple of years. The GeForce FX cards should be out soon, but I doubt there'll be an Apple version for a while since Apple isn't on GeForce FX launch partners list.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know I was reading and interview with Carmack about Doom 3 and why he'd written the engine to work with the ATI cards. He said that nVidia just wasn't up to it, that the ATI 9700pro card was just miles ahead of anything nVidia has out or is going to be bringing out in the near future.

Oh well I'll figure something out for the G4...

Maybe Creative will leap to the front of the pack and lead the way with some 256mb quad head card for the serious gamer market. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts