Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple Store UK has just updated its offering with 3 new iMacs!

Due to time difference, they are not yet on the .ca site (although by the time you read this they may well be).

So what's new? Main features are:

- 1.25GHz G4
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra card; 64Mb video RAM
- 160 Gig HD
- 4 X Superdrive

Entry level machine is now 1GHz

Prices look pretty reasonable.

Check it out here!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,373 Posts
Moscool, your link did not work, so I got in via www.apple.uk.com Strange seeing prices in British Pounds, even though we here in St.John's see a great deal of British coinage in the average change one receives at a store. I even have three Australian half dollar coins. Still, the iMacs seem to be positioned just below the G5 1.6 Macs, with the USB 2.0 ports. Gotta love the iMac!

What is a "SuperDrive +" ???

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm hoping that an eMac update is also forthcoming. Trying to convince my sister-in-law to pick up one for my neice.

Wow, the 20 gig iPod is definitely the sweet spot now.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Pretty nifty indeed. Geez...my iMac is barely 6 months old and it's already a relic. Ah well...that's progress for you.

I was really pleased to see the bump-up on the iPods. That 40Gig model looks really tempting!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The new iMacs also have a faster system bus. The new ones all have a 167Mhz system bus, whereas the old 15" had a 100Mhz system bus and the old 17" had a 133Mhz bus.

It's nice to see all the iMac models above 1Ghz.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pretty nifty indeed. Geez...my iMac is barely 6 months old and it's already a relic.

Wow, you got 6 months of being on top! You're lucky it wasn't a week. :p

·
Registered
503 Posts
Prices look pretty reasonable.
Really? When I priced the G4 I wanted it came out to $2505. To get an iMac with the exact same specs, except a single 1.25 GHZ chip instead of a dual, it came out to $2499.

So basically I can get a faster machine, for the same price, by going pro. And I can use the savings to buy a monitor.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmmm.. no price breaks on the education version of the new iMacs either...
Not yet, anyway.

Back to this topic, the new iMac line is definitely impressive, and the new iPods are sweet, too. Good job from Apple, IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
CubaMark - same situation for the new iPods. I'm craving a 40 GB iPod now (I can backup my entire hard drive easily now...). 5 gigs for music, 35 gigs for files, I like that idea

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Chelion brings up the point I wished to discuss ahora:

looking to get an ext drive - specifically for b/u, but also since I will be playing with large files sometime soon... but I'm thinking that I might as well get an iPod (maybe 40).

Anyone out here running that kind of config?

H!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts