Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda surprised that Apple let the 20th anniversary of the Mac pass without much fanfare (unlike a variety of journalists). Since the Mac was announced by a one-off Superbowl advert, I'm thinking that we'll be surprised by a Superbowl advert announcing the SuperMac (a G5 iMac). While various sources say that Apple has not purchased advertising time, that may be a smokescreen.

If wrong, I promise to not post for all of Monday......

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Hard to say about the advertising time, but keep in mind that Pepsi has booked time and it's no secret it's going to be about Apple.

My guess is the Pepsi tie-in ads are all we'll see though. There will be plenty of buzz about that on Monday.

As for the game itself, it might be pretty good. Perhaps for once, the SuperBowl's second half will be closer than the Grey Cup's.

I see a Patriots victory, mostly because I think their coach is going to have them very well prepared for the Panthers. If the cats can keep it close (relatively low scoring) they can definitely grind it out and pull off a win, though. The Panthers are very unpredictable (in a good way) and play solid, error-free football.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I'm with ya jwoodget. That's my theory too. There's an eerie calm from Apple right now. I feel it in my bones something big. My Apple sense in tingling.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Will our mayor buy a superbowl slot to tell the world about " Something new is coming to ehMac soon!" ?

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
How about a G5 Powerbook?

Apple already makes the coolest laptop on the planet...imagine if they could claim that it was also the fastest laptop on the planet. :eek: :cool:

Cooling problems aside, this would really make a lot of people sit up and take notice. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Drooling creates short circuits!
until the 'mini-me' I thought inovation would come from an iNewton device. Now my money is on a G5. iMac probably easier to build than a laptop, but GB cries for more portable power...

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The dump has started.

One of my friends in the US sent me a link this morning. He follows this site daily so he knows when something new comes up. It may or may not mean anything.

1.6 GHz sale

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps EhMax was abducted to Cupertino during his visit to MacWorld SF and implanted with a tiny RFID transceiver that is currently dormant but will burst into life on Sunday evening. Stay tuned. EhMax is "One with Steve" (and 1500 other Apple implantees)

Any one else got the Apple new hardware itch? C'mon, if Nortel can turn a profit.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting to note that the Pepsi -iTunes SB commercial makes no mention of "Apple". Is this Apple's way of divesting its brand name so that consumers will equate iTunes as a seperate entity, or is it because Apple has its own SB commercial waiting in the wings....still hoping that ITMS will be available to the world....

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
wait and see until the half time at the SuperBowl
if apple doesn't show a commercial they would have missed a glorious opportunity, 20th anniversary and all
an homage to the 1984 commercial would be cool....
then again, i'm a romantic :D

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Methinks that IBM must, by now, be literally swimming in G5 chips from the Fiskill FAB and will be pressuring Apple to use more of them in more products. A G5 powerbook would be nice but would likely be priced high for the first 6 months or so and I doubt demand would make much of a difference to overall chip sales. It would also likely have to be 1.4-1.6 GHz to keep the temps and power consumption down (slwer versions of the new 90 micron chips in the G5 X-serves should be possible). But a G5 iMac..... that would sell like cookies in a school yard.

·
Registered
275 Posts
hhmmm... I don't know if its just me, but I don't think we'll see anything other than the iTunes/pepsi ads unless it is something extraordinary and groundbreaking. I don't think a G5 iMac as nice as that is would warrent the money spent on a superbowl ad. Unless its chips and beer a superbowl ad has to be something every one has to get there hands on.(like 1 in 3 free songs with every pepsi is soemthing worthy of a super bowl ad and no one can resist) the 1984 ad had something ground breaking. So its just my opinion that I don't think it'll be a processor bumped computer that is already on the market. but hey we'll only see tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The only thing worthy of the superbowl would be "the world's first 64 bit laptop"

·
Registered
275 Posts
not too sure but wasn't there a 64bit laptop already out(running linux using AMD's 64 bit processor?) For some reason I rember this? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
eMachines released a machine that had the Opteron Processor. So it was the first 64 bit laptop, but there isn't much that use all 64 bits yet and the laptop runs very hot.

1.8 Ghz

eMachines Laptop

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Far too much is made of the Superbowl and its pageantry of ads. By my recollection, campaigns from recent years have served--more than not--as a showcase of failure and corporate stupidity than of any kind of tangible achievement (remember the sock puppet?), let alone an uptick in sales.

Smart, sensible companies know that there are far better ways to invest their marketing dollar than to pay the Superbowl's crazy premiums. In marketing, there is a school of thought that contends that Superbowl Sunday is the worst day to launch anything because: (1) it's Sunday; (2) your message gets lost too easily among all the other messages and ads that viewers will see; and (3) the audience is far more interested in the football game to care very much. That's why a substantial chunk of Superbowl advertising content consists of companies who just want to protect a market share and reinforce their campaign (i.e., Levis, Coke, Ford, McRotten Ronnie's, etc.)

The much-praised 1984 ad was a one-time deal. To go back to that well again would not only be contrary to Apple's style, shareholders would smack them silly.

To be sure, new Apple products *are* coming, but leave it to the guys at Apple and Chiat/Day to find a date and message that belong just to *them*.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Anyone watching on a US channel?

From here, I get local ads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts