Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
VPC Works ... Slowly

Has anyone successfully run Virtual PC on a G3 500 ibook with 640 mgs of ram?

Thanks,
kevin
I have VPC 2 on a beige G3 bumped to 400 MHz, 544 Mb RAM running Windows 95 off of Classic. I haven't used in some time. I worked. It was painfullly slow.

In general, the more advance the windows system you are using, the slower you will be.

I imagine that running it off OSX will be slower than running it off classic.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I had the latest version of VPC running on my 1.42 G4 w. 1GB of RAM and it performed badly just web browsing with the latest Windows version of Internet Explorer... I think I've since uninstalled that useless piece of software.

·
Registered
43 Posts
VPC on a G3 PB

I run VPC 6 with win 2k quite suceessfully, albeit I won't win any speed records on a lombard 333. 512MB RAM. It has been solid throughout. I have even been able to run a few windows programs that have crashed a PC at a place I do video for. :D

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
that's just it, you can run WIN 2K or (*SE fine enough to run some productivity software like OFFICe or something like that. It does work good enough for that.
Even a Powermac G4 400-500 with 512 plus ram could run it for that.
I find that any iBook does not run VPC well, my 1.0GHz iBook G4 does not run VPC 5 as well as my G4 400 did on OS 9.
So your milage will vary
My dual 1.2ghz G4 powermac will run VPC 5 or 6 quite spiffily in my opinion, especially if you crank up the ram
I can play some older games, pre 2000 just fine, but again not Frame rate 3D or playing or editing movie or sound clips, that multimedia stuff works pretty bad.
But for biz apps that you may need, VPC is acceptable. especially with WIN 2K

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have used VPC 5.04 (the ".04" update is crucial) and Win98 on my G3 600 iBook with reasonable success. It's not fast by any means, but if you just need it for one or two specific programs (which I assume is the case), it's workable.

Win98 in VPC 5.04 runs on my G4 mini run almost as fast as it did on the Pentium III Windows machine it originally came with.

·
Perpetually Caffeinated.
179 Posts
I use VPC 7 on a G3 700 Mhz iBook (640 MB RAM, 10.4.9), with Windows XP and for what I need it to do (run stats and basic genetic analysis software, and access data files for Windows-only games to run with open-sourced OS X binaries), it runs very well, especially with tips I've learned like running in full screen and with the PC List window closed.

Also, if you do things like turn off as much of the extraneous UI features in Windows (Luna, sound effects, fancy UI graphics), it runs surprisingly quickly.

The main issues for performance, I've found, are RAM and hard disk space - you've already maxed out your RAM, so the best thing to do (IMHO) would be to put your Windows disk image on a large, fast FireWire external hard drive, since I've found VPC loves lots of HD space.

Another tip would be to launch VPC through a utility like GameLauncher, which can quit all of your running apps and processes before launching VPC (it runs them again once you're finished).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.