Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone signed up their phone service with Vonage? Any reviews out there by anyone?

For installation Vonage says that you need to unbundle your phone/internet package but that you are not to cancel your phone service. Does that not mean I will be paying both Vonage and the phone company for phone service?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i tried it out (when i was renting a home while mine was being re-built) and wasn't impressed by bad sound quality and disconnections in the middle of conversations

i'm in a rural area and so cable could just be "bad"

i have friends in urban areas that swear by it

i don't know why vonage tells you to NOT cancel your phone service, unless it has to do with 911 emergency issues

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Has anyone signed up their phone service with Vonage? Any reviews out there by anyone?

For installation Vonage says that you need to unbundle your phone/internet package but that you are not to cancel your phone service. Does that not mean I will be paying both Vonage and the phone company for phone service?
Ideally you want high speed cable internet if you want to completely cut the cord with Bell. You'll need to keep your Bell line for about a month until the number transfer is complete, unless you want a completely different number, then I think you can get rid of them right away.

I've had Vonage for almost 2 years now, we've saved a ton. We have the $20 500 min plan and haven't gone over once. I find the service similar to a cell phone, you'll get the odd quarks, usually solved by hanging up and calling the person back. The quarks are well worth the savings in my opinion, we were going over $100 a month with Bell.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I have Vonage, its OK but nothing special. Their customer support is horrible and I have numerous problems with bad quality. Wont be long and I will be getting rid of them anyway.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ideally you want high speed cable internet if you want to completely cut the cord with Bell. You'll need to keep your Bell line for about a month until the number transfer is complete, unless you want a completely different number, then I think you can get rid of them right away.

I've had Vonage for almost 2 years now, we've saved a ton. We have the $20 500 min plan and haven't gone over once. I find the service similar to a cell phone, you'll get the odd quarks, usually solved by hanging up and calling the person back. The quarks are well worth the savings in my opinion, we were going over $100 a month with Bell.
I second this. Quality is the same as, or a little better than cell service.

I've been using it for 2 1/2 years now, have a virtual number in Waterloo and a 416 number for the GTA. My bill including taxes comes to $52 per month. I love that I get notification of any voice mail messages through my regular email and I can go online to not only listen to them, a copy of the message downloads to my Mac as a wav file.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I have it and love it. There have been occasional connection/quality issues, but those are directly the fault of Rogers Internet.

I get all the phone services (caller ID, voicemail, three-way calling, etc) included no additional charge.

It's way cheaper than Bell. I have my cell phone as a backup when power fails / internet goes down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We've been using it for over a year now. Can't really complain about it. It's worked well. Initially there were some connection issues but after they replaced the device that was taken care of. Some 800/877 numbers cause us problems (like my wife can't vote for Canadian Idol) but aside from that nothing to make us want to go back to Bell.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm reasonably happy with Vonage. I've had it for 5 months now with little issue. I have people complain about my sound quality, but I don't have an issue with it on my end. I've been meaning to get them to check that out, but since it doesn't really affect me I haven't really been bothered with it.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I second this. Quality is the same as, or a little better than cell service.

I've been using it for 2 1/2 years now, have a virtual number in Waterloo and a 416 number for the GTA. My bill including taxes comes to $52 per month. I love that I get notification of any voice mail messages through my regular email and I can go online to not only listen to them, a copy of the message downloads to my Mac as a wav file.
that was a very cool feature that I would really enjoy if Bell ever got around to it
I did very much appreciate that feature when I was using Vonage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.