Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey. i remember there was a feature in os9 where u could use a voice recording to login.... is that still the case in X? thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Some called it a feature, some called it a bug.

It worked if you used a headset/mic and didn't have a cold; otherwise background noise issues (ie if some noise was present when you created the login, it had better be there when you tried to login again. Similarly, new noise when logging in could cause login to fail) made it fairly useless. Simply moving the computer to a different part of the room or building could cause it to fail. No music or radio allowed, either.

It wasn't voice recognition so much as an audio pattern recognition; you had to repeat the phrase exactly (same inflection, speed of delivery, etc). True voice recognition "knows it's you" no matter what you say or how you say it.

I tried it for a while, it certainly was "cool" but I'm pretty sure around 100% of users came to the conclusion that it wasn't a better way than typing a password. I don't think it's a suprise that Apple didn't spend much time coding for an OSX feature with no earthly use.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
On a similar note (rather than starting an entirely new thread), are there any voice recognition software programs that work well with the latest version of OS X?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
No idea as to compatibility, but IBM ViaVoice and Dragon Naturally Speaking are the ones most often reviewed. Perhaps a google might tell you what you need.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
Thanks, gg, for the info. I have Dragon NS and have heard that ViaVoice won a MacWorld award a couple of years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts