Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm looking to buy a second machine to work as a file/print server. And was thinking it would be quite cool if I could use it to do my Voice Mail too (Memories of MegaPhone. Now I had a 6500 years ago and MegaPhone worked perfectly on it's internal modem, however when I got my B&W I got an external Hayes modem, and it didn't work. So now I'm a little curious as to which machine/modem to get.

I would love to get an older iMac for this purpose, but I can not find any information that tells me if the modem supports voice or not.

Anybody want to give me a hand?

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
may i ask the reason for this 2nd mac as a file/print server?
do you print many large files?
do you have other pc's in the mix?

was just wondering what the purposed of the file/print server was for and maybe it would be better to just upgrade your current mac?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reasons are two fold actually.

1- My assistant is located in Montreal and she and I often work on the same projects at the same time, having her connect to my primary machine slows it down, not tremendously, but noticeably (especially in mid-render or capture). I also access some of my work remotely. Having everything in one central location would just minimize problems.

2- Both she and I print and rip large files, the printer is here in Toronto, so everytime she needs something printed, my machine again gets slowed down.

I just figured including one more machine as an always on workhorse and file keeper (for lack of better term)would be useful to our organization. Especially since I'm considering more help soon.

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
if you are running OS 9 and use File Sharing to share files, that Mac will take about a 25% peformance hit in doing so.
OR
are you going to purchase AppleShare to run on the "server" much more efficient use of resources.

Then with the RIP sfw. which I assume you will put on the "server" will also put a strain on the mac.

i understand the logic of the remote access by you and your partner.

just make sure you have enough "horsepower" to
- file share
- RIP
- print serve

I am guessing that you are using a wide format EPSON printer (type) that you are sharing?

I would suggest a b//w G3 or so. More specifics would be good.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
The last machines to have Voice/Fax/Data modems internally are the older PowerMacs which accepted the Supra Gold/Platinum models.

Internal modems on G3/G4 Macs are not Voice compatible. However, there are some scattered reports that some modems were voice compatible; the trick is you can't tell which (possibly Apple used an alternate supplier when the regular manufacturer couldn't meed demand).

USRobotics make Voice modems which are Mac-compatible. Megaphone was purchased a few times by companies that didn't suppport it well, but since about a year ago it is now a standalone company dedicated to producting Voice functional SW.

The OSX port is currently in beta. It looks like computer telephony may be on the way back, but since the new MegaPhone corp is quite small, there's still room for setbacks.

In any case, you would be best off to remove the internal modem, sell it, and replace the internal port with an external Serial Port from Griffin. Then use an external modem known to work with telephony. USB modems may also be supported, but you would have to check with MegaPhone when the app is mature to be sure.

MegaPhone Company

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.